Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card for VR

Options
  • 24-02-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to buy a new card, specifically for VR. In my own research I found this one, the MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-GeForce-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094583.html

I've never used mindfactory.de, but the price is €100 cheaper than I've seen it on other sites. Has anyone used it or know a good site with a good price?

€500 is my absolute maximum budget. That card seems like it's good bang for the buck, unless there's something better out there?

EDIT: I'd also like to buy the rift from the same supplier to keep delivery costs down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bought most of the parts for my pc from mindfactory and had no problems. I think a lot of people in this forum use it as a go to site for builds and upgrades. Other site I used was amazon but only one part i needed was cheaper there at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can safely buy a cheaper GTX 1070, e.g. EVGA SC-ACX €410 ; Gainward Phoenix €435.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The MSI card seems to be slightly overclocked. It seemed to be somewhere between the 1070 and 1080.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The MSI card seems to be slightly overclocked. It seemed to be somewhere between the 1070 and 1080.

MSI: 1717MHz
    EVGA: 1715MHz

Of course, results may vary, but from reading around, most 1070s are overclocking to around 1700MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

EDIT: I'd also like to buy the rift from the same supplier to keep delivery costs down.
    Pretty sure Oculus do free shipping, they did with my headphones when i ordered last week and the Rifts had free shipping last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm about to buy a new card, specifically for VR. In my own research I found this one, the MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-GeForce-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094583.html

I've never used mindfactory.de, but the price is €100 cheaper than I've seen it on other sites. Has anyone used it or know a good site with a good price?

€500 is my absolute maximum budget. That card seems like it's good bang for the buck, unless there's something better out there?

I got my 1070 Gaming X from Amazon.de for around the same price. It's a monster of a GPU, very quite underload, comes with very good software and I 100% would buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i will recommend evga (even with all the crap that has happened with them and pascal) for their customer service alone, all brands of 1070's and 1080's are similar in performance anyway

i will recommend evga (even with all the crap that has happened with them and pascal) for their customer service alone, all brands of 1070's and 1080's are similar in performance anyway
    Customer support means a lot. If there's little difference between the EVGA and the MSI I'll go for the EVGA.

Went to the oculus website and their charging €43 for shipping. It works out at €742.

if your going evga make sure to get their new pascal cards, icx cooler or some such, basically their response to the vrm issues they where having

Went to the oculus website and their charging €43 for shipping. It works out at €742.
    Ouch, pcworld do free delivery and its only 650euro there atm - http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/oculus-rift/332972/397.0.7

• Advertisement

Is the card in the link above?

no, just the rift but its 650euro with free shipping so its a good price, just another option is all :)

lmimmfn wrote: »
    no, just the rift but its 650euro with free shipping so its a good price, just another option is all :)
    Sorry that was for Icyseanfitz
    if your going evga make sure to get their new pascal cards, icx cooler or some such, basically their response to the vrm issues they where having

ive a standard ftw 1080 btw, great card, and when evga had the vrm issue last year i was able to rma it with zero hassle to get a fixed version. Great support

I can't spend any more. I went paying for everything today and I got my budget way wrong. I'm €300 over. I'm getting new sim gear as well. I don't know where I went wrong.

I can't spend any more. I went paying for everything today and I got my budget way wrong. I'm €300 over. I'm getting new sim gear as well. I don't know where I went wrong.

What are all the things you are buying?

Fanatec clubsport wheelbase and v3 pedals, and a GTomega sim rig.

Fanatec clubsport wheelbase and v3 pedals, and a GTomega sim rig.

Can you price out your full budget, and the prices for those items?
    Hard to figure out what you can buy otherwise.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can you price out your full budget, and the prices for those items?
    Hard to figure out what you can buy otherwise.
    It's all bought. I just had to dip into other savings that I didn't want to dip into. Thanks anyway.

Would love to buy a vr headset myself, let us know your impressions

• Advertisement

It's all bought. I just had to dip into other savings that I didn't want to dip into. Thanks anyway.
    is it just for sim racing? would highly recommend touch too( adds another level to the immersion ), but yeah expensive.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    is it just for sim racing? would highly recommend touch too( adds another level to the immersion ), but yeah expensive.
    Pretty much just interested in sim racing at the moment.

Advertisement