Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Same Windows license on two hard drives

Options
  • 24-02-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I bought a new 2 TB hard drive and I installed Windows 7 Pro on it. I bought a Win 7 Pro license online. After I installed the OS the license was validated.
    However I have had some problems with the freshly installed OS (I can't run Windows Update and there are other issues that I have tried to fix unsuccessfully). The PC is about ten years old so I think there may be some compatibility issues with the drive, the PC and the OS.
    I have another older drive on the PC (with Windows 8.1 on it that I don't need).
    If I format this drive and try to install Win 7 with the same license on this drive will it allow me?
    I don't intend to use the Windows 7 license on the other hard drive as it is no use to me when I can't update Windows on it.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A fresh install of Windows 7 is unable to use Windows Update because there are too many updates and, to put it politely, the update service crap itself. The hard drive will not be at fault.

You need to install SP1 (if not already), the "Convenience Rollup" and maybe the latest update rollup - Windows Update will then work.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1

The Win7 licence should reactive, assuming its genuine. If it doesn't, you can talk to a human and explain what happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's a quick guide to getting Windows 7 up and running from @SwiftOnSecurity

It's very good, I've used it before. You should be able to ignore the part where it says to download on a second machine, just go for it on the Windows 7 machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

I can't install any exes, I get the error "Installer encountered an error 0xc800247".

Advertisement