Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destinations for solo travel - 40yo

Options
  • 24-02-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As per the title. I'm forty years old and looking to do some travelling alone.

I've quite a bit before but am wondering about destinations that are good to go alone.

I've been in south America solo and found it fine and enjoyed the evenings wandering about. There were a lot of wiki travellers so I didn't feel odd, although when in Spain I found the evenings very isolating as I was eating alone and it seems to be a big social thing there.

I've no real preference for things although I do like to integrate with the locals as much as is possible.

I'd like to try towards the east this time so suggestions for Europe and beyond welcome. Plan for 2+ weeks.

I'd also like to know where in Ireland would be good for solo travel?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi,
    As per the title. I'm forty years old and looking to do some travelling alone.

I've quite a bit before but am wondering about destinations that are good to go alone.

I've been in south America solo and found it fine, although when in Spain I found the evenings very isolating as I was eating above and it seems to be a big social thing there.

I've no real preference for things although I do like to integrate with the locals as much as is possible.

I'd like to try towards the east this time so suggestions for Europe and beyond welcome. Plan for 2+ weeks.

I'd Alison like to know where in Ireland would be good for solo travel?

Thanks.

I'm nearly 30 and probably the best place I went was Sri Lanka with a bit of an older crowd, a lot of solo travellers between 25 and 50. Really nice mix and some great stories with the people I met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ever considered Iran?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Was just about to suggest Sri Lanka!

Haven't been, but been researching and it's probably my destination for this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 MrDublinGuide

Just curious- do lots of people solo travel?
    I tough if you have somebody beside you, the joy is double.Somebody to talk to,to ask, share and ENJOY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just curious- do lots of people solo travel?
    I tough if you have somebody beside you, the joy is double.Somebody to talk to,to ask, share and ENJOY :)

Solo Travel is the fastest growing travel segment.

There are people for various reasons, embark on Solo Travel, single, widowed, their partner ill or does not want to travel, friends settled and married with 2.5 children, and go to child friendly complexes (as in my case)

Just because you dont have a partner, does not mean you should sit at home knitting.

Not everyone needs someone with them to enjoy themselves, or feels something is missing travelling solo.

Travelling solo pushes your boundaries, you speak to people you might not when travelling as a couple or with others, I always come back a more confident person from my travels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 MrDublinGuide

Oh absolutely true.
    I am glad to hear you come back as a more confident person. Traveling has so many benefits...LOVE it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Ever considered Iran?

+1 Did it April last year and it was an amazing 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

I travelled to Australia with a friend and travelled home by myself in SE Asia. Spent about 12 days in Vietnam which was amazing. Would highly recommend it as a destination for solo travel.

Advertisement