Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to rent a house with dogs

Options
  • 24-02-2017 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Good God, it's impossible to rent a house in Ireland with a dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

If house share is and option, try the team up part of daft and specify a few details about you and your pet. Some people who rent out their places go through that without advertising and you may be lucky.

If looking for a house, try to contact the owner directly, lots of people say no pets but can change their mind when they talk to someone / set ground rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pawrick wrote: »
    If looking for a house, try to contact the owner directly, lots of people say no pets but can change their mind when they talk to someone / set ground rules.
    This^ When we first moved to Ireland we rented for 18 months before buying, and this is what we did as we were bringing our cat with us. I got the impression that it was actually the agent who had put the no pets line in the ad without asking, as the owners, who were moving out to a new house, had a dog themselves and had no problem with our aged, well behaved, cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How many dogs?

In some rural areas (not if sheep rearing area), a dog might be much more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Victor wrote: »
    How many dogs?

In some rural areas (not if sheep rearing area), a dog might be much more acceptable.

Rural areas are easier. I have/had two dogs and never any worries in sheep areas as the ll always checked they were under my control and never ever loose and I always checked the fences were good.

Have cats too and never any problems,

Yes re some agents adding no pets to all their ads . Always ask?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What I've seek work for others is simply find what you want, meet in person, if still interested bring up the fact you got a dog and would be willing to pay an additional deposit is required for any potential damage he'd cause. Most landlords don't want to see the money walk away when they know they got someone and that way you can get around it.

• Advertisement

The problem is pets being allowed inside rather than actual pets. If you can guarantee most LL that the pet will live outside there won't be much of an issue but this isn't the case with this new trend of having pets inside.

In rural areas they are more used to pets but at the same time the assumption is that they will live outside so while it might be easier to get a place that accepts pets it might be flagged very fast if they are going to be allowed inside the house and the permission could be retracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The problem is pets being allowed inside rather than actual pets. If you can guarantee most LL that the pet will live outside there won't be much of an issue but this isn't the case with this new trend of having pets inside.

In rural areas they are more used to pets but at the same time the assumption is that they will live outside so while it might be easier to get a place that accepts pets it might be flagged very fast if they are going to be allowed inside the house and the permission could be retracted.

All our lls have always known the dog and cat will in indoors. No problems.

No way will any dog or cat of mine will be relegated to outside. Typing abed with my three cats on the bed.

Ll came to think as I do when they rid the house of mice.. keeping pets outside is an antiquated idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    I'm going to interject at this very early stage, and say that this thread is not to turn into a pets living indoors vs pets living outdoors debate... We've had far too many of them and they always end up causing problems and getting closed.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I had to move out because the landlord had died and family wanted to move in
    have a labrador dog
    New address landlord didn't want pets and what I did was invited the new landlord to visit the house where I lived in so he could take a look and he did
    Two days later I got the house and the dog was allowed
    Every new house I m looking for invited the future landlord to have a look around if he/she likes how I live in a rented property they looked at the rentbook (most of them were rents of 4/6 years) looked around and never needed a reference and got the house

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

My advice, do make sure you ask the landlord yourself! I was told by the letting agents of my last two houses that under no circumstances pets were not allowed! I asked them to ask the landlord directly and both landlords agreed with no problem. So its always worth a try!

If that fails, I would always offer to pay for a separate deposit for the dogs also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The first two properties my husband and I rented together were advertised as "No pets allowed" and when I rang the estate agent, was given the same info. We organised a viewing regardless, which was with the landlord, and mentioned that we had an adult collie and he didn't bat an eyelid. Told us that the "No pets" declaration is generally to dissuade people who might move in and get a baby pet for the first time, rather than people who already have established adult pets.
    Second house was much the same. Dealt with the landlord through the whole procedure and he took us out the back to what used to be a very nicely paved patio and said it's in utter ruin because the entire back area is crawling with feral and semi-feral cats because the last family got two kittens, let them roam outside un-fixed, and now there's a colony. We told him we had an adult dog, and he beamed and offered us the place on the spot. Said he had no issue with pets but felt it was highly irresponsible of anyone moving into a new home to go straight out and procure puppies and kittens. An 8 year old dog meant we were dedicated to our pet and he was established already.

Long story short, always view a suitable property, and show the landlord you're a great tenant. THEN mention your pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No pets is good. They are lovely pets for you, I get that, but they can sht and wee on the floor, they leave hairs everywhere, they can bark or mew all night and drive the neighbours mad..

FGS think outside the pet box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No pets is good. They are lovely pets for you, I get that, but they can sht and wee on the floor, they leave hairs everywhere, they can bark or mew all night and drive the neighbours mad..

Cats and dogs can be and often are House trained and not all poo and pee everywhere.

My mums dogs sleep in her room for company and she was recently woken at 5am by the dog scraping at her with her paws. Turned out the dog needed to go outside to do her business.

A responsible ownerwill clean up after their pets.

Ive known pets cleaner than people. And less noisy

Good luck finding A place op

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

I think if you offer a bigger deposit your pet suggestion may be welcomed with wider minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Granted 7years ago the market was better but our house was advertised as no pets. Met the landlord. Explained we had two working dogs who are indoor dogs. He asked to meet them and when he seen they were no issue we moved in. Advertising it as no pets potentially saves the landlord possible hardship but if you are genuine and a responsible pet owner they might let it slide. Agents are more by the book

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

No pets is good....

Spanish Eyes... This is just not appropriate stuff to be saying in the Animals & Pets Forum. Please rein it in and post appropriately for the forum in future.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

It's not easy but not altogether impossible either - in daft there's a section for tenants to put an ad up stating what they are looking for. I put an ad on there, working single woman with house-trained dog looking for a home to rent and i got 2 people contact me who weren't even advertising - the house i chose is 5 mins from my work so i can come home and have lunch with my pooch ! everyones a winner

Advertisement