Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late competition

Options
  • 24-02-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

Taking umbrage at the fact that I have not yet won the Late Late competition in all fifteen or so years that I've been entering, I've decided on a new strategy. I have a suspicion that the entries are being screened in preference of the auld biddy viewership and the odd wealthy farmer from Westmeath. I'm wondering if I send in a text entry with a suitably traditional rural Irish female name such as Fidelma or Theresa, will I run into problems? Should Tubbs call me with the good news I will have to say that Fidelma can't make it to the phone as her bowels chose an unfortunate time to act up on her, but I her nephew can vouch for her. Would I then have to impersonate an elderly rural Irish lady to claim my prize?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Seanachai wrote: »
    Taking umbrage at the fact that I have not yet won the Late Late competition in all fifteen or so years that I've been entering, I've decided on a new strategy. I have a suspicion that the entries are being screened in preference of the auld biddy viewership and the odd wealthy far8mer from Westmeath. I'm wondering if I send in a text entry with a suitably traditional rural Irish female name such as Fidelma or Theresa, will I run into problems? Should Tubbs call me with the good news I will have to say that Fidelma can't make it to the phone as her bowels chose an unfortunate time to act up on her, but I her nephew can vouch for her. Would I then have to impersonate an elderly rural Irish lady to claim my prize?

The person who won must take the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

You could just kill the person who wins it and take the prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Mrs Brown with a country accent from Ballygone is the template.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

They always say 'you must be there to take the call'. They only ever call a landline. Therefore don't text the answer, call the number and leave a landline number to call back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

And if he offers you toyshow tickets tell him to stick them up his post deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The winner is either from Cork, or not Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Taking umbrage at the fact that I have not yet won the Late Late competition in all fifteen or so years that I've been entering, I've decided on a new strategy. I have a suspicion that the entries are being screened in preference of the auld biddy viewership and the odd wealthy farmer from Westmeath. I'm wondering if I send in a text entry with a suitably traditional rural Irish female name such as Fidelma or Theresa, will I run into problems? Should Tubbs call me with the good news I will have to say that Fidelma can't make it to the phone as her bowels chose an unfortunate time to act up on her, but I her nephew can vouch for her. Would I then have to impersonate an elderly rural Irish lady to claim my prize?

Honestly, I think you're driving your head into this too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Ekerot wrote: »
    Honestly, I think you're driving your head into this too much.

I am in no way obsessive about my experiments to win the Late Late competition or have my Lotto entry pulled out of a perspex barrel by Marty Whelan's manicured fingers :rolleyes:.

They always say 'you must be there to take the call'. They only ever call a landline. Therefore don't text the answer, call the number and leave a landline number to call back on.

Is this insider information, overheard in the RTE canteen maybe? I don't think I can handle the thought that all of my text entries never stood a chance. The times I forgot I'd entered and remembered half way through a shower and thought I might have missed the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Put down your name as Barbara :D

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    You could just kill the person who wins it and take the prize.

I've enough on my plate burning off karma from all the killing I've done in past lives. I would consider being a sugar boy to an ICA woman if she was half decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

An auld one ringing from a landline has won any time I've watched.

Put down your name as Barbara :D

Oh, heeellooo! (in Derek & Clive female voice), oh thank you Ryan, this is wonderful!

ejzc7m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

You could go to the pub instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

longshanks wrote: »
    And then her lovely 3 year old grandchild jenny gets to say hello.

longshanks wrote: »

That's proof that it's a conspiracy man, have you ever heard of any young fella or wan in their twenties or thirties winning this comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I think its pathetic looking that they have a pile of €10 notes as the spending money. Even twenties would look way better.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    And then her lovely 3 year old grandchild jenny gets to say hello.

It's probably the cousin of an RTE staffer and some kid they've co-opted for a Fair City extras rate fee. The cousin gets a grand and has to give the rest back to RTE.

CaptainR wrote: »
    I think its pathetic looking that they have a pile of €10 notes as the spending money. Even twenties would look way better.

You're right, I think if I got the call when all is said and done, if I asked him 'Is the prize in tenners' and he said yes. I'd just say 'Nah, it's alright' and hang up :P

ojf02e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

You're right, I think if I got the call when all is said and done, if I asked him 'Is the prize in tenners' and he said yes. I'd just say 'Nah, it's alright' and hang up :P

ojf02e.jpg

You look like a low level drug dealer carrying around wads of tenners though.

Imagine paying for the bill in a restaurant on the free holiday with 15 ten euro notes with a rubber band wrapped around em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Has anyone noticed that Tubridy has given up quizzing the winner on their life, job, marital situation lately. He's just matter of factly telling them they won, now fúck off.
    It was always amusing when he'd get some aul bachelor who was a bit shy and Tubs would make it his business to mock him for watching the show alone and ask him would he find anyone to spend some of the money on at all at all.

Tubs is such a character......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can I enter, then just watch Graham Norton instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

On the website, this is the picture they have:

0004093d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The last raffle I was at was very interesting because the people who ran the raffle actually won it.
    So it's not unusual for that to happen now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have a bugbear that people from the north can enter despite not being reciprocal. They don't pay licence fee

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah looks cheap and tacky. Like Jim Bowan pulling a roll of used 10s out of his suit pocket to pay the Bullseye contestants their winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I am in no way obsessive about my experiments to win the Late Late competition or have my Lotto entry pulled out of a perspex barrel by Marty Whelan's manicured fingers :rolleyes:.

I knew a man who saved 6000 non winning scratchcards to prove they were a fiddle. He told his wife and was nearly divorced over wasting 6 grand.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Agricola wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that Tubridy has given up quizzing the winner on their life, job, marital situation lately. He's just matter of factly telling them they won, now fúck off.
    It was always amusing when he'd get some aul bachelor who was a bit shy and Tubs would make it his business to mock him for watching the show alone and ask him would he find anyone to spend some of the money on at all at all.

Tubs is such a character......

I usually get a moment of anxiety after I enter the comp, I think 'what the f**k am I going to say to him if he phones?'. I'm sitting in my boxers eating chips and dip reading the Buy & Sell half watching the Late Late alone. Also even though it's free money they always expect you to be jumping out of your skin over the phone, I'd appreciate the money but I'd have to ham it up a bit.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Can I enter, then just watch Graham Norton instead.

It's perfectly acceptable, just remember to have your ringtone on in case you had it on silent in work or the cinema. I had a missed call from a Dublin number one night and I nearly had a f**kin heart attack :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I used feel such a rush entering the late late competition when I was on the dole. It really was the most exciting part of the weekend, that you might get a phone call live on the TV from Pat Kenny. (!)

Advertisement