Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe pain under kneecap - Where to go next?

Options
  • 23-02-2017 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not looking for any actual medical advice. I just want ideas of who to go to who will be able to help me.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Two years ago I developed a very sharp stabbing pain under my left kneecap whenever I did even the smallest amount of walking/activity. I noticed no injury or anything that would've caused the pain. Two years later and the pain is still there.
    I've gone to my GP, 2 different Physios, an Osteopath, had an MRI and a knee arthroscopy.
    On the MRI it looked like there may be a cyst but the arthroscopy showed it was totally normal. The surgeon said I had a little cartilage damage but that it was a totally normal amount and shouldn't be causing pain.
    He said there was nothing more he could do for me as he couldn't see a problem. He said he could refer me for a second opinion but I'd only be wasting my money. He mentioned pain management but I don't want to go there.

I'm 24 years old, fairly slim and otherwise healthy.
    I don't know where to go next. If anyone has any ideas or even somewhere online that I could look for more help please let me know.
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My niece developed juvenile arthritis when she was 18. Medication means it is manageable.

Medication isn't necessarily bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not looking for any actual medical advice. I just want ideas of who to go to who will be able to help me.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Two years ago I developed a very sharp stabbing pain under my left kneecap whenever I did even the smallest amount of walking/activity. I noticed no injury or anything that would've caused the pain. Two years later and the pain is still there.
    I've gone to my GP, 2 different Physios, an Osteopath, had an MRI and a knee arthroscopy.
    On the MRI it looked like there may be a cyst but the arthroscopy showed it was totally normal. The surgeon said I had a little cartilage damage but that it was a totally normal amount and shouldn't be causing pain.
    He said there was nothing more he could do for me as he couldn't see a problem. He said he could refer me for a second opinion but I'd only be wasting my money. He mentioned pain management but I don't want to go there.

I'm 24 years old, fairly slim and otherwise healthy.
    I don't know where to go next. If anyone has any ideas or even somewhere online that I could look for more help please let me know.
    TIA.
    Sounds to me like you need a second opinion, you shouldnt be in that amount of pain at 24. Sometimes you need a fresh pair of eyes looking at a situation, whether its a biomechanical or an orthopaedic problem. Yes, its more money but probably worth it, only question is whether the best route would be an orthopaedic surgeon or a sports physician. Look up Santry Sports Clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I had this exact same thing when I was younger. I was playing every sport in the book and without warning this sharp pain developed after only 100 yards of walking down a road. For me it was actually fallen arches, I went to a chiropodist and within 1 month of getting insoles I was running around the place again. When getting yourself checked out by the qualified folk, definitely keep it in mind.

Advertisement