Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing laws and limit

Options
  • 23-02-2017 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi , i recently got a little a boat to do a bit of fishing for myself in the west of Ireland for the summer ..
    Do anybody know what are the exact law or would have a link about the gears you able to fish with (pots , net , longline) , the amount of fish you can catch (read somewhere there is a limit for mackerel and pollock ?? ) etc..
    Very hard to find on internet and nobody look like to know around !
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure on the limits for fish or net use but if you are to sell them commerically it will be near impossible without a licence as buyers need to record where they got their fish from. A local restaurant or hotel might want them but again with all the tracability they likely won't take the risk. SFPA should be able to give you exact details if you mention the area you want to fish in, some might be designated conservation grounds and all net use prohibited.

Without a licence you are allowed fish up to six pots and catch 1 lobster and 5 crabs per day, any more than this and you will be in trouble, you also can only fish them from 1st May to 30th September.

http://www.sfpa.ie/News/TabId/167/ArtMID/538/ArticleID/32/New-laws-for-lobster-and-crab-fishing-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MataofK

I don't plan to sell my fish at all , i'm just going for the pleasure and just feel up the freezer from time to time . I found out for the lobster and crab fishing all right ( witch is a big scandal ) but very hard to find something about fish , there must be some rules somewhere !

The lobster and crab law is a pure scandal , there a very little amount of little boat with few pots around who are fishing for themself , those one to blame ( the one they are protecting by this rules ) are the good few boats around fishing with over 2000 pots each and all year long .. Those one are destroying the sea and taking everything not the old lad with his boateen and few pots he hole once a week .. An other example of the irish bull**** on the fishing industry

Advertisement