Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking to get out in the middle of the night.

Options
  • 23-02-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

We have a 12 year old Yorkshire Terrier. He sleeps inside for the fire for the winter months but is happier sleeping outside in his kennel during the summer. This week he has started barking in the middle of the night to be left out and won't come in again. He started at 6am Monday morning, slept all through Tuesday night, was barking at 5am Wed morning and at 3am this morning.

At first I thought it was because the weather is getting a bit milder but it was awful this morning and he still didn't want to come back in. I don't want him getting used to the idea that he can just bark on a whim at any hour and I will get up and let him out. However I don't think the weather is good enough to start letting him out all night. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Jeepers, a Yorkshire Terrier NOT wanting to be indoors?!? :)
    Hes a bit old and a bit small to be outside all night.
    You need to identify why he suddenly has changed his habits and (1) wants to go out in the night and (2) wont come back into the house...

If hes 12, he may be developing a problem with lasting the night without a pee.
    I would suggest at 12, that you take him for a check up to the vet - to see if there is some infection or other issue that he has started wanting to go out in the middle of the night

The other possibility is that there is something going on outside that is waking him, and he wants to go out to investigate? There might be a cat/fox/animal outside? Can your dog look out a window/see something thats rousing him? Maybe a neighbour/car/bin lorry/something thats unsettling him?

Could he be too hot?
    Any sudden changes to behaviour usually have some underlying cause - whether medical, environmental or of the who-knows-what variety! Just up to you to find what the heck it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks for the reply aonb. He seems to be back to normal now thank God. I thought I was going to have to get a dog flap if he kept that up. I'm going with the theory that there was an animal of some sort in the garden that he needed to check on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 QuestionHere

we are but mere slaves to the whims of our pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

we are but mere slaves to the whims of our pets!

not so much whims of our pets, as the habits/routines we let them get into!

I curse myself for some of the habits our dogs have formed down through the years and now the cat (our first) is starting to develop routines and patterns 8-(

Advertisement