Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Beginner wanting to try sculpture

Options
  • 23-02-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I would like to try my hand at sculpting There a few statuettes that I have ideas for . Any advice as to what materials I should start off with to get a feel for if this to see if it is something I'd enjoy and have any knack for . Or maybe there is a good book or course out there . Any info much appreciated .

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

hi - where are you based?

The Trinity arts workshop was always great for sculpture classes - I'm not sure when they start or what their offering is currently like but it's worth googling them if you are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I'd suggest you maybe try out das clay, it's an air-drying clay with fibres in it for strength. You can get it cheaply from most art or craft shops and it's a good material for beginner's experimenting and for small simple sculptures. Polymer clay (fimo, sculpy etc.) is also a good option to try, You bake it in the oven to harden it, it's a very versatile material that you can paint, file, drill etc. when cured. There's loads of sculpting tutorials on youtube, especially for polymer clay techniques.

Advertisement