Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curtain rail come down needs repair (Pics)

Options
  • 23-02-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

We have moved to a new house and recently had a curtain rail installed in main bedroom. Unfortunately the curtains were too long and they were pulled down (with rail) when one of the kids stepped on them.

I have included the pics of the holes left on the wall. What's the best way to repair? Poly filler? I would also like to get the rail back up, take it I would need to drill new holes?

Thanks,
    The Hoggle
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 mastering plastering

you should have the holes re-plastered, maybe polyfiller would do, holes seem small

have your curtains heme brought up or your curtain pole raised, the later would be cheaper,
    looking at the pictures it would appear your had no central support bracket this will make a big difference when applied also these bracket holes appear as thought they are the brackets with one screw in center the the other piece screws onto? if so they are not great brackets! having said that, once they are applied correctly first time around they can be quite sturdy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Drill into the concrete behind the plasterboard. A professional curtain pole installer (yes we had these. They worked for the big department stores) would never dream of trying to hang a pole from plasterboards. Plenty on here will tell you about this fixing or that fixing but its the wrong way to do it. Any professional will always go for the concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

Some decent plasterboard spring toggle bolts is well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,204 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sculdugery wrote: »
    Some decent plasterboard spring toggle bolts is well enough.

Plasterboard spring toggle bolts can be very effective, but with kids and curtains in the mix I think you would be better off going for the concrete as suggested. Suggest you work just above the lintels, trying to drill a concrete lintel with an ordinary drill can be pretty much impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/id-2109.html?filter_set[0]=4%2C198&

Use these, there normal job is to fix insulated slabs to wall but I use them for curtain rails as well. It will hold :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭dodzy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/id-2109.html?filter_set[0]=4%2C198&

Use these, there normal job is to fix insulated slabs to wall but I use them for curtain rails as well. It will hold :-)

You cannot be serious, surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

dodzy wrote: »
    You cannot be serious, surely?

Some of the advice here is staggering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

TheHoggle wrote: »
    Hi,

We have moved to a new house and recently had a curtain rail installed in main bedroom. Unfortunately the curtains were too long and they were pulled down (with rail) when one of the kids stepped on them.

I have included the pics of the holes left on the wall. What's the best way to repair? Poly filler? I would also like to get the rail back up, take it I would need to drill new holes?

Thanks,
    The Hoggle

For me, to overcome cantilever bracket design and insulated slab fighting against 8ft high drapes I used this. Some braided wire and internals of 5A electrical connectors.

20170301_221915.jpg

This may not suit many but as an alternative to curtains on floor works for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

"https://www.goodwins.i...2109.html?filter_set[0]=4,198&

Use these, there normal job is to fix insulated slabs to wall but I use them for curtain rails as well. It will hold :-) "

Hi. Are you using these to fix or are you self tapping in to centre with a screw after?
    If the latter, seems like a great solution for insulated plasterboard curtain rail fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 DglFarmer

Google Express Nails. They look like a tube with a split up the side. They are similar to the plasterboard fixing that ShefWedFan suggests, but they are stronger and don't have as wide a head on them, so the curtain pole bracket will hide it. When using the express nails, use lengths of wall plugs or cheap wall plugs to push into the end of the express nail. The better quality Thorsman plugs won't push into the end.

If fixing onto plasterboard only, as in a timber frame house, google devno fixings. There are relatively new and less well known. The secret to using them is to use a screw / bolt that is longer than the fixing, so that it pulls the back of the fixing in tight to the back of the plasterboard.

I'm not allowed to add links as I'm a new user...

Advertisement