Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Quilting..Where to buy batting?

Options
  • 22-02-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm a total newbie to quilting, but I have my first quilting 'top' almost finished.
    However, the batting bit has my head melted. I'm utterly confused by all the variations on YouTube tutorials, so I wonder if any experienced quilters can advise me on the best type to buy (and where to buy it).
    I went to a craft shop today and was a bit shocked at the price they quoted (€15 per m).. is this typical?
    Thanks for your help in advance XXX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Traditionally quilts were filled with whatever was available - old blankets, woolen clothing that was cut up and pieced to lie flat, etc. The problem with these is that it is not as easily washable and anyway there are not so many wool blankets around.

Some possibilities are - standard wadding, though the cheaper stuff is often quite stiff and coarse feeling.

A thin (lightweight) continental quilt, you may even have one that you don't need. Remove the cotton cover.

There are lots of synthetic fleece throws available that are not expensive, trim off the hems and either enclose between the quilting and a backing fabric or just bind the edges.

You can find a good, 100% cotton double sheet or quilt cover in charity shops for 3 or €4 (avoid polycotton ones as they are usually poor fabric) you just have to hunt in the bigger shops. These will make a very inexpensive backing for your quilt.

Don't get too hung up on doing it the 'proper' way, early patchwork was made with all the creativity of women with very few resources!

Advertisement