Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to be dog walker

Options
  • 22-02-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I live in a rural area in Connacht. I want to be a dog walker.
    Any tips on where/how to start? I don't have any experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Perhaps volunteering to walk dogs in shelters might be a good place to start to allow you to gain some experience?
    Perhaps looking into canine first aid courses, canine behaviour/communication courses might also be an idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

+1 for Bells21 advice.

You will need to be near a town, or have transport to a town I would imagine, or have transport to get to your rural clients. Are you an adult or student? I would volunteer with a groomer maybe, or with a shelter for sure, to get some experience of different breeds/personalities. When you say you have no experience, do you mean no experience of dogs or of dog-walking professionally?

You might have to have insurance. Some sort of a contract/form should be filled in for any clients - you will have to have a key to the dogs home, and the responsibility for the dog - insurance of some sort would be required I would imagine?

Maybe give us some more information on your circumstances/ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I read an American blogger who blogs about her two dogs and who also has a dog walking business. The website is www.thatmutt.com, but in this she has some articles about setting up your own dog walking business which may be some help to you!

Advertisement