Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car sold - can I keep insurance?

Options
  • 22-02-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I sold my old car at the weekend as a project, engine failed. I am still looking for a replacement. Should I leave insurance in place and just switch when I get another car? I think I got a decent premium when I renewed last month, and don't want to loose it. I am named on my wife's policy, so OK to drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

johnb25 wrote: »
    I sold my old car at the weekend as a project, engine failed. I am still looking for a replacement. Should I leave insurance in place and just switch when I get another car? I think I got a decent premium when I renewed last month, and don't want to loose it. I am named on my wife's policy, so OK to drive.

Yep, but you should suspend your policy.

You need send the cert and disc back to your insurer with a letter advising the vehicle was sold. They will then freeze the insurance.

The policy will stay active and your ncd will stay in place but it means that if you buy a new car in a couple of months you will be entitled to a suspension rebate that is, they will give you money back for the duration of the suspension once its more than 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Great, thanks...hopefully days rather than months.

Advertisement