Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on online accreditations - online business management

Options
  • 21-02-2017 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I just wanted to ask people what their opinions on accreditations online were?
    I'm thinking of studying online business management, I've soared through google but still not sure as to who would be the best to go with.
    Im wondering about prices, some seem cheap for the qualification, some seem expensive, I'm also not sure as to which ones would stand for me in this country..

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Think of it from an employers perspective.

Would you hire somebody who did an online course from some online university in a foreign country that you know nothing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Newbie29

Think of it from an employers perspective.

Would you hire somebody who did an online course from some online university in a foreign country that you know nothing about?

Well the one I found was accredited in the U.K and states that the ceetificate is level 6 equilavent in Ireland. It is with CMIT.. would you be familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Newbie29 wrote: »
    Well the one I found was accredited in the U.K and states that the ceetificate is level 6 equilavent in Ireland. It is with CMIT.. would you be familiar?

Yeah, I've heard of them. The key thing here is that the courses they offer are validated by the QQI also (validated vs. accredited - important distinction).

But also read the small print. On occasion (not really relevant to CMIT), I have seen colleges/universities that are accredited by body X. When you dig deep into this "body X" you find that it is owned by the same people who own the college/university. So they are accrediting themselves, so the qualifications are worthless.

In short, don't believe everything you read online. :) Do your homework. Look for phone numbers where you can actually call somebody and physical addresses that actually exist. Google Streetview is your friend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Newbie29

Yeah, I've heard of them. The key thing here is that the courses they offer are validated by the QQI also (validated vs. accredited - important distinction).

But also read the small print. On occasion (not really relevant to CMIT), I have seen colleges/universities that are accredited by body X. When you dig deep into this "body X" you find that it is owned by the same people who own the college/university. So they are accrediting themselves, so the qualifications are worthless.

In short, don't believe everything you read online. :) Do your homework. Look for phone numbers where you can actually call somebody and physical addresses that actually exist. Google Streetview is your friend here.

Thanks for that really appreciate it 🖒

Advertisement