Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home brew kits

Options
  • 21-02-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    Can someone suggest where I can pick up a homebrew kit suitable for a beginer, close to Carlow?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

thehomebrewcompany.ie are based in Mountmellick - not a million miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ferg44

Im in Carlow too..
    HBC in Mountmellick , its worth the Hr's drive .They will give you good advice , amount of stuff they have in a small shop will shock you .
    My advice, stay away from the really cheaper kits , they always disappoint imo, the cheaper ciders not too bad I suppose , but they need a lot of sugar to carbonate right, which can be tricky .. Stick with the Ales to start, just easier, largers take longer and need lower temps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lhlgm7

The Girlfriend got me a beer making kit from Molloys.ie, they have a few stores around Dublin. The kits they have are very good for beginners or intermediate home brewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

order online ..those things from molloys are 45 for a gallon made so if its i us gallon is only 6.6 imperial pints made.... by time you leave dregs .. you end up paying 45 for 6 pints....

get a 3kg kit..either packaged with the gear
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/st-peters-microbrewery-premium-40-pint-starter-set-p-2612.html

or just get basic kit and 3kg kit of your choice

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/brewferm-equipment-starter-kit-p-4029.html
    or
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/the-hbc-student-starter-kit-ale-p-874.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

hi guys,
    i was given a home brew kit as an xmas present .

where's a good place to get empty bottles ? I have a bag of caps and a bottle capper

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

donegal. wrote: »
    hi guys,

where's a good place to get empty bottles ? I have a bag of caps and a bottle capper

Good practice is to always wash out any bottles you drink at home straight away.

Your local craft beer bar will also go through plenty of 500ml bottles and they have to pay to get them taken away so should be happy for you to take them off their hands. Non-craft bars would have some bottles too but not as much as macro bottles tend to have a deposit paid on them. Your local, friendly bartender would be a good port of call either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if bottles are not rinsed out straight away, is it possible to get them clean enough?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

if bottles are not rinsed out straight away, is it possible to get them clean enough?

Yeah, they'll just need a good soak overnight in some cleaner. This stuff from Lidl is great for that. Bonus points from the mrs as it's a good stain remover for the washing too.

20130722_164835.jpg

The odd time you will get a bottle were the crud just won't shift. Best bet then is to just chuck it in the recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

hi guys,

Also, loiter about a local bottle bank on a weekend afternoon and you should get plenty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement