Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domain names and website templates

Options
  • 21-02-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I want to go from a WIX designed website to my own domain and I'd also like to create or find a template that is not too expensive.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

There are that many different platforms, systems and templates to create a websites it would be pointless to try and give a useful answer with such a wide scope of a question.
    If you could outline:
    what you want to achieve with your site,
    diy or paid (include budget),
    your level of knowledge
    target market
    brochure or ecommerce
    etc.
    Then I am sure advice on appropriate solutions would be forthcoming.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Same question a friend asked a few months ago, I recommended him to look softaculous select the category from the left after look at the demo of a few of them to see what suits you best. I already have hosting so he was going to use it too.

If you already have hosting some do include softaculous already or some other templates feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I want to go from a WIX designed website to my own domain and I'd also like to create or find a template that is not too expensive.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks

Rich

Name cheap webhosting + domain name below just point your domain name there,also softaculous with lots of scripts free to use in your control panel!

https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Thanks folks,

My aim is just to bring an already quite shabby site that I run from wix ( diy ) to a more professional one whre I can sell craft.
    I dont really want to spend more than 150 year. I want my own domain.
    Simple site.
    I'm capable enough but dont have the patience to go throug ha one off learning curve....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Thanks folks,

My aim is just to bring an already quite shabby site that I run from wix ( diy ) to a more professional one whre I can sell craft.
    I dont really want to spend more than 150 year. I want my own domain.
    Simple site.
    I'm capable enough but dont have the patience to go throug ha one off learning curve....

You will need to have a hosting service, a domain and decide how you want to use to create the website, you could create yourself if you know html, java, css, etc or use something like Wordpress, Joomla etc. or other software available via softaculous in Cpanel. You could do all for about €50 a year.

For hosting you can use a share hosting, as would be cheaper, I use hawkhost.com but there's lots of more, some based in Ireland others abroad, but the location won't make any difference.

For Domain, you will need to decide if you want a .ie, .com, etc you could have more than 1 domain with the same website. You can get .com domain for under €10, .ie are more expensive, for a .ie domain you probably will need to go with a Irish registrar but for the .com can buy a domain from anywhere in the world, you don't need to buy both from same registrar.

For creating the websote, if you want to test at how to create the website with Wordpress, Joomla, etc via softaculous software you can get free webhosting with https://infinityfree.net/ or https://www.000webhost.com/ it could be a bit slow as they are free service, once you move to a paid service it should be faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Shared hosting is cheap, but its cheap for a reason. Lack of security being one, or if one domain on the shared hosting gets malware, chances are the rest on the server will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Robarley

maccored wrote: »
    Shared hosting is cheap, but its cheap for a reason. Lack of security being one, or if one domain on the shared hosting gets malware, chances are the rest on the server will too.
    or if one domain on the shared hosting gets malware

Depends on who hosting is with!!

Namecheap do superb shared hosting and monitored all the time,also if you have any issues they have brilliant online support..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Robarley wrote: »
    Depends on who hosting is with!!

Namecheap do superb shared hosting and monitored all the time,also if you have any issues they have brilliant online support..

you cant control the other clients on a shared server so you'll never know if one of them decides to try and access your data - especially if they do it right. as I said - shared hosting is cheap due to it's extreme lack of proper security

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

maccored wrote: »
    you cant control the other clients on a shared server so you'll never know if one of them decides to try and access your data - especially if they do it right. as I said - shared hosting is cheap due to it's extreme lack of proper security

Shared hosting is cheap because it uses a fraction of the resources of dedicated hosting, nothing to do with any inherent security problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

When i read wix up above i shivered.....Found the software to be crap a few years ago and a nightmare customer service...Unless they have changed since then massively I'd avoid

• Advertisement
Advertisement