Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zanussi ZWG1140m motor issues - E60 error

Options
  • 21-02-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I have a Zanussi ZWG1140m washing machine that sounded like it was taking off whenever it was in the spin cycle for the last few months. The other day it shook so violently that it came away from the wall, and now it shows the error code E60 when it's about to go into the spin cycle (I think). Searching for this issue either suggests it's a motor problem or an NTC sensor problem.

Anyway I got a repair guy out to look at it and he said it would need a new motor. He got back to me after checking with suppliers and he said it's a special edition washing machine so motors are rare, and told me to get a new washing machine. As an aside: it seems like whenever I hire a repair person these days they advise me to get a new machine!

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not sure how old the machine is as it was a second hand one from a relative, but I'd rather not have to buy a whole new machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If the machine has only in more recent times developed this fault run it in spin mode without any load, if the symptom only shows up in a minor way I would suspect it has a loose counterweight or a broken/worn shock absorber. A tell tale sign of a loose counterweight is concrete dust on the floor under the machine. Get someone with good diy skills to do a visual on it and see if anything is adrift

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sineadbcoyle

If the machine has only in more recent times developed this fault run it in spin mode without any load, if the symptom only shows up in a minor way I would suspect it has a loose counterweight or a broken/worn shock absorber. A tell tale sign of a loose counterweight is concrete dust on the floor under the machine. Get someone with good diy skills to do a visual on it and see if anything is adrift

Oh great ok. There was concrete dust on the floor under the machine. So maybe I should get a second opinion? If so would you know someone? I don't really know anyone handy with DIY skills at the moment!

Sorry don't know any tech in D8 area , you should talk to the retailer where you bought it and get a recommendation from him

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Unlike most Zanussi, those ZWG machines were budget models and Chinese made, hence why it is probably difficult to get parts for it now. E60 would usually be an error relating to the motor, but as these are Chinese ones, it could mean something different? I doubt the motor would make it jump around though!

Age wise, I'd say it's around 5 years old.

byte wrote: »
    Unlike most Zanussi, those ZWG machines were budget models and Chinese made, hence why it is probably difficult to get parts for it now. E60 would usually be an error relating to the motor, but as these are Chinese ones, it could mean something different? I doubt the motor would make it jump around though!

Age wise, I'd say it's around 5 years old.

Thanks, great info. Pity it's a cheap version but it did use to run well. I'm getting someone else to look at it today anyway. €60 for a callout fee but I'd rather make sure there's nothing that can be done for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Let us know how you get on!

So the guy that came said it was the concrete block that holds the drum in place. €45 for one of them, but I'm going to get getting the other one replaced as well because it's starting to wear away. He's ordered them now so hopefully he'll be back next week to fix it, and hopefully the machine will last a few more years!
    A tell tale sign of a loose counterweight is concrete dust on the floor under the machine.
    Thank you The Red Ace for suggesting this!

Ok so the new counterweights were installed and then he found another problem :mad: - apparently the tacho coil is broken which means I'd have to get a new motor to fix it anyway! So not very happy about that (especially getting charged 160 for the parts and call out fee). Might put it up on Done Deal saying it needs a new motor in case someone would want it for parts but I'm far from hopeful.

if you can stick up a pic of the tacho end of the motor (opposite end to pulley)the tacho is normally only a push fit to the end of the motor, if I have one you can have it free seeing as you have spent so much with guys who cant figure out whats wrong with a machine before they waste your money

Advertisement