Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is this on daily once it starts? No way I'll be passing the picket if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As far as I know it will be.

Long time since there was pickets out on the streets of Carlow I'm guessing there is a generation out there who won't understand what crossing a picket even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

As far as I know it will be.

Long time since there was pickets out on the streets of Carlow I'm guessing there is a generation out there who won't understand what crossing a picket even means.

Next Monday? Is this some union sop to give management/customers/suppliers notice?

As in why not strike immediately today or tomorrow at latest?

Wonder will pickets be placed at main entrance or will Fairgreen management permit them inside the centre to picket in front of the store itself?

Or will Fairgreen management/Euro Car Parks/Momentum Security not permit picketing on site at all and that pickets, much like when say Yes Equality Carlow set up, will have to be done outside the pillars at Barrack St.?

Could a picket be placed at or on the roundabout exiting to New Oak on the L.H.S. & heading to Burrin Rd. on the R.H.S.?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 the black celt

There were pickets at Dunnes stores in Carlow in 2015 and the workers in Tesco had a collection for food for the picket line.
    I would never pass a picket and will be down to support the strikers in Carlows Tesco store.

Is Dunnes not in Laois? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Is Dunnes not in Laois? ;)

There's two Dunnes in Portlaoise!

There's two Dunnes in Portlaoise!

And none in Carlow.

Dunnes stores is in Graiguecullen, Co. Carlow...

Who pay all there rates to Laois Co Co.

Graigue is Laois not Carlow.

Or as per their site: UNIT 5, Sleaty Rd, Graiguecullen, Carlow, Co. Laois

• Advertisement

I would imagine that most of their business comes from Carlow people.

And probably most of their employees are from or live in Carlow.

It's still Laois though I shop in Dublin, Kilkenny and Laois that doesn't make them Carlow just because I shop there.

Might not be classed as in Laoise much longer if proposed boundary change goes ahead.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Next Monday? Is this some union sop to give management/customers/suppliers notice?

As in why not strike immediately today or tomorrow at latest?

Wonder will pickets be placed at main entrance or will Fairgreen management permit them inside the centre to picket in front of the store itself?

Or will Fairgreen management/Euro Car Parks/Momentum Security not permit picketing on site at all and that pickets, much like when say Yes Equality Carlow set up, will have to be done outside the pillars at Barrack St.?

Could a picket be placed at or on the roundabout exiting to New Oak on the L.H.S. & heading to Burrin Rd. on the R.H.S.?

I don't think the Fairgreen will get involved the shutters will be down on the inside and the Tesco door beside the main entrance will be opened for anyone who wants to cross the picket and shop and that door will be picketed would be my guess.

From the golden pages web site : Unit 5 Sleaty Rd Graiguecullen Co Carlow Co. Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Might not be classed as in Laoise much longer if proposed boundary change goes ahead.

Boundary Review Commission won't be recommending any change in this regard.

As reported by a Laois Co. Cllr. is reported as saying in todays paper (this weeks Nationalist, P.3), it was a brain fart of an idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Keep on topic, people, please. If you want to argue about boundaries, start another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I won't pass the picket. I think it's wrong for Tesco to change the terms and conditions that some of their workers have been on for the last decade or more.

Imagine if any of our employers decided to change our terms and conditions. We wouldn't be too happy. And it's not like Tesco is a loss making business that needs to do this to keep afloat. It's just taking money off workers to put into the Company's coffers.

I wouldn't be impressed if anyone I know passed the pickets.

• Advertisement

The strike is now delayed over notice served by the union that didn't conform with employment law.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-strike-delayed-six-stores-3256199-Feb2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Regardless whether or not there are pickets at the Tesco store in Carlow I won't be spending any of my money in any Tesco store until such time as this issue is settled to the employee's satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Regardless whether or not there are pickets at the Tesco store in Carlow I won't be spending any of my money in any Tesco store until such time as this issue is settled to the employee's satisfaction.

Not many with that view judging by how busy it was tonight

Advertisement