Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mange in cattle? Need help

Options
  • 21-02-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and need help.

I have cattle in a slatted shed. A mix of breeds.

Three days ago I noticed that a fresian weanling that I had in the shed had red raw legs, from biting and scratching. His front legs are particularly bad.

I gave all the cattle in the shed a pour on against lice and parasites in early January.

I took photos of his legs and brought them to the local vet. She said that she had not seen anything like it before and advised giving him Penstrep and a spayy called Almycylin. I have been doing this now for three days and see no improvement. I also gave him a shot of Bimectin two days ago.

No other cattle show these symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭High bike

Tangman wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum and need help.

I have cattle in a slatted shed. A mix of breeds.

Three days ago I noticed that a fresian weanling that I had in the shed had red raw legs, from biting and scratching. His front legs are particularly bad.

I gave all the cattle in the shed a pour on against lice and parasites in early January.

I took photos of his legs and brought them to the local vet. She said that she had not seen anything like it before and advised giving him Penstrep and a spayy called Almycylin. I have been doing this now for three days and see no improvement. I also gave him a shot of Bimectin two days ago.

No other cattle show these symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated.
    can you stick up a pic so we can see exactly what it's like

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

High bike wrote: »
    can you stick up a pic so we can see exactly what it's like

New poster, so may not be able to post pics yet. If you send them to me in a PM I'll have a go at putting them up.

I've heard of a sheep mange that has crossed over to cattle near Nenagh. Isolate him if you haven't done it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

My Cattle are gone silly with mange/lice...... Never had it before in the shed. Mad scratching and licking themselves. Done them wit a pour-on 6weeks ago with no effect. Bought a new pour-on yesterday and done them all again, and will follow up with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

We had that before with a belgium blue bull we bought, if im not mistaken we injected him with ivormec and kept blue spray on it and that cleared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tangman

I'm new to the forum so I am not allowed to post images.

I've PM'ed a similar image to blue500, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Tangman wrote: »
    I took photos of his legs and brought them to the local vet.

Perhaps bringing the vet to the animal might be the next (or first!) logical step?

I bought a litre of Taktic yesterday and my sons will spray the rest of them that are in the shed today. I have removed the one with the bad symptoms along with another 2 that had different issues. They are currently grazing in a nearby field. I'll spray them also, maybe this evening if the rain stays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

There's a article on the last page of the farmers journal about mange mites and lice, it says there particularly bad this year due to the mild winter, I am also experiencing this but its mostly around their necks, their scratching so much their leaving themselves raw in small patches, only a few cows do, I have done them with pour-on again Monday so ill see how they get.on.

blue500, yes that's it alright. Thanks for posting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

blue5000 wrote: »

Just be careful, that's a picture of a goat..... from Israel.

If the Taktic hasn't worked your vet can take skin scrapings and send for examination.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

greysides wrote: »
    Just be careful, that's a picture of a goat..... from Israel.

If the Taktic hasn't worked your vet can take skin scrapings and send for examination.

A more standard approach would be for a vet to make a diagnosis first and recommend treatment after.

Call me old-school.

The image this forum sometimes gives of food animals getting random chemical treatments on the basis of poor advice offered as a remedy for loose descriptions of vague diseases must give our consumers pause for thought.

As well as being an Israeli goat, the craythur in the photo has chorioptic mange and this man's problem might be psoroptic mange.

Or it might be something a bit more exotic like besnoitiosis.

Or something else that doesn't need a chemical bath, saving both animal and operator from exposure to whatever is currently not a proven carcinogen.

But shure what harm losing a bit of time with the oul' internet consultation & random treatments first.

LostCovey wrote: »
    A more standard approach would be for a vet to make a diagnosis first and recommend treatment after.

Call me old-school.

The image this forum sometimes gives of food animals getting random chemical treatments on the basis of poor advice offered as a remedy for loose descriptions of vague diseases must give our consumers pause for thought.

As well as being an Israeli goat, the craythur in the photo has chorioptic mange and this man's problem might be psoroptic mange.

Or it might be something a bit more exotic like besnoitiosis.

Or something else that doesn't need a chemical bath, saving both animal and operator from exposure to whatever is currently not a proven carcinogen.

But shure what harm losing a bit of time with the oul' internet consultation & random treatments first.
    Temporarily closed for discussion amongst mods.

Lost Covey you are correct, we can't diagnose correctly on an internet forum.

Tangman it would be better if you could ask your own vet to examine the animal. I honestly didn't think of this when I read your post this morning, my apology. Also when you have time have a look at the charter at the top of the page, relevant section is here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92648734&postcount=7

Advertisement