Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop keeps dropping shared wifi (work) connection

Options
  • 21-02-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi there,

My laptop (Lenovo Flex 2-14) keeps dropping my wireless connection at work (shared network) at random intervals. Once it drops the connection, it fails to reconnect. My Wireless Network Adapter is Qualcomm Atheros AR956x and the driver version is 3.0.2.201 (I have checked that this is up to date).

No one else (roughly 500 other people) in my workplace has this issue, and my laptop does not have this problem using any other wireless network so that rules out some causes (I think).

Here's the troubleshooting I've done so far:
    1. Restarting the computer (This sometimes works but I don't want to have this as my go-to solution!)
    2. Turning wifi on/off
    3. Turning airplane mode on/off
    4. Tried manually configuring the network connection again, re-entering my credentials etc. (This worked once but never again)
    5. Ensured that power/sleep settings aren't affecting wifi connections
    6. Uninstalled my wireless network adapter and re-installed it
    7. Ensured the wireless network adapter is the most up-to-date version
    8. Unchecked the "connect automatically" box from all other available wifi networks

Then I went to the Lenovo support website and tried everything on this list:
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ie/en/solutions/ht502846

which includes:
    1. setting TCP/IP Stack and auto tuning
    2. Removing Lenovo Access Connection software ( ThinkCenter & ThinkPads)
    3. Disabling RDC

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating. I have had IT look at it three times and they've effectively carried out the same troubleshooting but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Strange one considering it only happens with that particular router.
    Does Event Viewer log anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is the WLAN using CH12-14 or stopping at 11? Regional radio settings could drop you off the network if the controller is trying to bump you onto an AP your adapter considers illegal.

Advertisement