Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do people afford GEM?

• 21-02-2017 1:21am

I have a mortgage and a fairly good career but would love to be a doctor. I am gearing up to make the move (studying and saving) but I really cannot see how people afford the fees and loss of earnings and accommodation costs? What are the loans like now from banks? The 100k loan would have suited me best (I know it's no longer available) as I will have to keep paying mortgage and am not near any colleges so will need to pay accommodation costs also. Any advice would be much appreciated as funding is the only thing holding me back and I can't understand how so many people can afford GEM - am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I'd be really careful about making this decision. From talking to friends of ours, their loan repayments are circa 1200 per month.
    I don't know how anybody repays that loan on top of paying a mortgage, running a car, etc. especially considering how little you'll earn in the first 4yrs at least.

I haven't even gotten to the part about the horrifically long hours, constant stress, moving all over the country every 6mths, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

€1200 per month loan repayments? That is huge ☹️ I would love the job. If I had gotten the points in the leaving cert I would have done it then. As I would aim to be a GP I would hope that the hours would eventually not be horrifically long.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I'm coming from the perspective of my husband being a doctor. All i'll say again is be very very careful about this decision.
    In ways he has it a lot easier than you ever will because he did undergrad medicine so he'll probably be finished training and starting a consultant job at the same age that you'll graduate from medical school. And he obviously had zero debt upon graduation.
    Even with all those odds stacked in his favour it has still been a very difficult path with many sacrifices.

I'm coming from the perspective of my husband being a doctor. All i'll say again is be very very careful about this decision.
    In ways he has it a lot easier than you ever will because he did undergrad medicine so he'll probably be finished training and starting a consultant job at the same age that you'll graduate from medical school. And he obviously had zero debt upon graduation.
    Even with all those odds stacked in his favour it has still been a very difficult path with many sacrifices.

Thank you for your post. Does your husband ever regret the road he took? Are the hours he works and sacrifices he has to make worth it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement