Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Oroville dam crisis manufactured?

Options
  • 20-02-2017 3:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Here's an interesting one. Apparently there was a 2.1 earthquake in the northwest of the Oroville Dam on Feb 8th. The tremor can be traced to a quarry. When the main spillway failed, they could have immediately started work on reparing it while using the auxiliary.

Authorities have known that this dam was in need of serious upgrade for 12 years yet have not lifted a finger or a dollar to do so.

If the dam fails and Oroville and Sacramento areas are destroyed, Qui Bono?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-eH4s3gb4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Given that the state was in severe drought for the last number of years, most likely they never thought it would reach full capacity.

Most infrastructure in the US is in pretty poor shape, so nothing unusual here.
    You would hardly feel a 2.1 tremor, especially from quarying.
    After not having been used for 12 or so years its no wonder the spillway failed. It was the spillway, not the dam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In the After Hours thread Manic Moran who lives over there I think said that infrastructure is just in disrepair, they've basically been ignoring these kind of issues.

Which does happen in politics, if it ain't broke avoid it like the plague because it will eventually be someone else problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

The New Orleans levees were is piss-poor condition as well. I remember watching a documentary in The Netherlands (the Dutch were the ones who repaired the levees and pumped out New Orleans...they are the hydro-engineering experts after all) and one engineer expressed dismay at the extent of how decrepit the infrastructure was.

I'm also wondering if they are planning to impose martial law in California.

• Advertisement

HensVassal wrote: »
    The New Orleans levees were is piss-poor condition as well.

Federal infrastructure budgets continually get raided for pork barrel projects leading to shortage of funds for the routine maintenance work that really needs to get done.

Bridges, in particular, are in horrible condition.

This is why Trumps promise to repatriate funds from the likes of Apple, tax them, and use the money to improve infrastructure went down so well with the electorate.

Federal infrastructure budgets continually get raided for pork barrel projects leading to shortage of funds for the routine maintenance work that really needs to get done.

Bridges, in particular, are in horrible condition.

This is why Trumps promise to repatriate funds from the likes of Apple, tax them, and use the money to improve infrastructure went down so well with the electorate.

It may have gone down well with the electorate but the deep state is never going to allow it to happen much like they were never going to allow Trumpster to improve relations with Russia and that's why they destroyed Flynn leaving Trump shaken to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Based on ?

weisses wrote: »
    Based on ?

Alternative facts!

Ipso wrote: »
    Alternative facts!

Is that supposed to be some kind of cheap dig?

• Advertisement

Not cheap. Legitimate. Martial law in a massive state because of a localized issue.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Based on ?

Well they've activated, I think, 23000 national guards. I've also read reports of homes and businesses being looted and road rage incidents breaking out in the traffic jams.

Generally the National Guard aren't deployed until after a disaster has occurred. What exact use are the National Guard on fixing a dam. The DWR has all the skilled personnel it needs to deal with the damage to the dam. National Guard would just be getting in the way. And if you're suggesting the NG will be filling sandbags or handing out sandwiches .... I think there's enough civilian operators to handle those tasks.

Unless of course they actually KNOW that the dam is going to fail or are pretty certain that it will and the Guard being activated is just getting an early start on an inevitable catastrophe.

One guardsman stated that they were there to handle the re-evacuation. A NG general quickly came out to refute this claim, saying the guardsman was "flustered in front of the camer".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,227 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Search for the term martial law on this forum. This isn't the first time someone has suggested that it was imminent after a supposedly faked event. Every single time it's been suggested, the prediction has failed.

Not seeing much different with this prediction...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well they've activated, I think, 23000 national guards. I've also read reports of homes and businesses being looted and road rage incidents breaking out in the traffic jams.
    Really? Seems a bit odd considering nothings actually happened yet.
    Unless of course they actually KNOW that the dam is going to fail or are pretty certain that it will and the Guard being activated is just getting an early start on an inevitable catastrophe.
    They never know anything, they can just guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Generally the National Guard aren't deployed until after a disaster has occurred. What exact use are the National Guard on fixing a dam. The DWR has all the skilled personnel it needs to deal with the damage to the dam. National Guard would just be getting in the way. And if you're suggesting the NG will be filling sandbags or handing out sandwiches .... I think there's enough civilian operators to handle those tasks.

One guardsman stated that they were there to handle the re-evacuation. A NG general quickly came out to refute this claim, saying the guardsman was "flustered in front of the camer".

The national guard is on alert so not deployed ... almost 200.000 people evacuated ... Looting goin on ... Im not surprised they are on alert ... I would find it stranger if they weren't

The national guard is on alert so not deployed ... almost 200.000 people evacuated ... Looting goin on ... Im not surprised they are on alert ... I would find it stranger if they weren't

What's wrong with the police?

There are 200,000 evacuees and 23,000 troops on alert. That's a bit bloody overkill isn't it? That's 1 soldier for every 10 civilians in the Oroville area. During the height of the Northern Ireland troubles there was a ratio of 1 soldier per every 90 civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

What's wrong with the police?

There are 200,000 evacuees and 23,000 troops on alert. That's a bit bloody overkill isn't it? That's 1 soldier for every 10 civilians in the Oroville area. During the height of the Northern Ireland troubles there was a ratio of 1 soldier per every 90 civilians.

Obviously they want to be well prepared

Hurricane Katrina caused Bush severe embarrassment with the response being woefully under-prepared

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Obviously they want to be well prepared

Hurricane Katrina caused Bush severe embarrassment with the response being woefully under-prepared

There's a lot of people who are claiming that the dam has no chance of surviving and that the authorities know this. There of course will be a lot of money to be made out of this if and when the dam fails and inundates the Sacramento Valley. For starters the vast farm lands in the area will be wrecked. I know what I'll be doing. I made close to 80 grand in the aftermath of the 2007 subprime reset which of course was completely purposely engineered. If this dam goes it will destroy California's rice producing capability which is massive. Buy rice futures because the price will skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭ozmo

Seems its a boon to the tourist industry anyway right now...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oroville-dam-recovery-20170221-story.html

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Seems its a boon to the tourist industry anyway right now...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oroville-dam-recovery-20170221-story.html

Yeah I saw that :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement