Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliffs of Moher...

Options
  • 20-02-2017 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I was down at the Cliffs of Moher the weekend, my first time down there in years.

The €6 per person is a joke to be honest. I don’t mind paying to park the car, but paying per person is a bit of a rip off. Not sure how this will pan out.

The least they could do is, if you’re paying €6 per head, is to not have a footpath along the cliffs, to the left-hand side, that isn’t too narrow, and full of muck and puddles. I had my hiking boots on anyways, so it didn’t really matter to me. I guess it’s the countryside and people need to do their research on the correct footwear to have on beforehand. I saw lots of women in high heels, walking beside a cliff!

But it got to a stage in some parts, where it got a bit too crowded, and people went outside the barrier/stone wall to walk on unguarded paths.
    I’ll never get why people want to go to the edge, or walk close to the edge. The height of stupidity, no pun intended.

I’m not a fan of heights and get nervous at the best of times, but it’s so easy to fall off these cliffs. (It’s also easy to get knocked down if you want to….)
    Ideally, it would be good to have staff dotted along the path to let out a roar at idiots who will not take heed of any of the warning signs on the path. Nobody seemed to take any notice of the loose surface warning signs.

But I suppose there's only so much you can do with stupid people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

seachto7 wrote: »
    I was down at the Cliffs of Moher the weekend, my first time down there in years.

The €6 per person is a joke to be honest. I don’t mind paying to park the car, but paying per person is a bit of a rip off. Not sure how this will pan out.

The least they could do is, if you’re paying €6 per head, is to not have a footpath along the cliffs, to the left-hand side, that isn’t too narrow, and full of muck and puddles. I had my hiking boots on anyways, so it didn’t really matter to me. I guess it’s the countryside and people need to do their research on the correct footwear to have on beforehand. I saw lots of women in high heels, walking beside a cliff!

But it got to a stage in some parts, where it got a bit too crowded, and people went outside the barrier/stone wall to walk on unguarded paths.
    I’ll never get why people want to go to the edge, or walk close to the edge. The height of stupidity, no pun intended.

I’m not a fan of heights and get nervous at the best of times, but it’s so easy to fall off these cliffs. (It’s also easy to get knocked down if you want to….)
    Ideally, it would be good to have staff dotted along the path to let out a roar at idiots who will not take heed of any of the warning signs on the path. Nobody seemed to take any notice of the loose surface warning signs.

But I suppose there's only so much you can do with stupid people.

There is quite a simple way around it,drop all your passengers at the entrance and drive to the carpark yourself and just pay 6 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would it alert suspicion? 1 person parking a car near a cliff...

Would it alert suspicion? 1 person parking a car near a cliff...

Not in the slightest,plenty of people visit on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Limerick91

They have people watching for drop offs. The last time I was there I let 3 people off at the side of the road and headed to the car park. The wagon in the booth said that is €24, €6 for you and €18 for the 3 people you dropped off.

As we were going walking to Doolin and not going to the "brilliant" visitor centre I refused to pay more than €6. I asked to speak to her supervisor/manager and then all of a sudden she let me in. Some of the people working there must be on commission they try so hard to get people to pay

She said to me "the admission includes the exhibition". I don't care about that haha. I suppose I could have hidden someone in the boot...

• Advertisement

Limerick91 wrote: »
    They have people watching for drop offs. The last time I was there I let 3 people off at the side of the road and headed to the car park. The wagon in the booth said that is €24, €6 for you and €18 for the 3 people you dropped off.

As we were going walking to Doolin and not going to the "brilliant" visitor centre I refused to pay more than €6. I asked to speak to her supervisor/manager and then all of a sudden she let me in. Some of the people working there must be on commission they try so hard to get people to pay

Its (technically free) free as long as you don't use any provided facilities etc.

http://www.cliffs-moher.com/price.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Mucky boots and puddles, sure they should just pave it altogether and maybe an elevator too.

buck65 wrote: »
    Mucky boots and puddles, sure they should just pave it altogether and maybe an elevator too.

Ever been to Glendalough?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Park in Doolin or Liscannor and walk there. It's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Park in Doolin or Liscannor and walk there. It's free.

Walk 10km from Doolin to the Cliffs, to save a few quid? Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

davo2001 wrote:

Think of the health benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I remember when we used pop in any time we were passing for the buzz of crawling to the edge and lying there looking straight down. The windier and wilder the better 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

As kids, our habit was to hide from our parents and listen to them shouting for us, blaming each other and not come out until they were beseeching God. Not that proud of that memory now! Have really mixed feelings about the place. Too many have taken the leap. But visitors love it, and what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

davo2001 wrote: »

You can park for €2 per car in somebodies garden at the Liscannor end and its only a stroll to the cliffs. There is free parking a little further out.

Much quieter than at the official spot and no rules / wardens etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Balagan wrote: »
    As kids, our habit was to hide from our parents and listen to them shouting for us, blaming each other and not come out until they were beseeching God. Not that proud of that memory now! Have really mixed feelings about the place. Too many have taken the leap. But visitors love it, and what can you do?
    Speaking of the leap, there's a plaque at the jump spot to commemorate the jumpers.
    They might as well have put up a signpost to guide those thinking of jumping to show them exactly where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Oh I reckon you'd figure out where to go if you were of the mind. Personally I know two people that jumped and know of alot more than that, remembering them isn't a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

davo2001 wrote: »

That's exactly what I did. I walked to the cliffs and back via the cliff walk. It's beautiful and free!

buck65 wrote: »
    Oh I reckon you'd figure out where to go if you were of the mind. Personally I know two people that jumped and know of alot more than that, remembering them isn't a bad idea.

Not to get into a morbid debate, but why the significance of the Cliffs of Moher if someone is in that state of mind.

There are plenty of cliffs along the coast. Apologies for what I just wrote.

Mods. Delete if necessary.

fg1406 wrote: »
    That's exactly what I did. I walked to the cliffs and back via the cliff walk. It's beautiful and free!

Nice one. It's a bit easier from the Liscannor side. Still a good hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Not to get into a morbid debate, but why the significance of the Cliffs of Moher if someone is in that state of mind.

There are plenty of cliffs along the coast. Apologies for what I just wrote.

Mods. Delete if necessary.
    That's what I was thinking. It's not like the victim is going to think 'I better do this somewhere fashionable or I'll be mortified when they break the news to my family!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Anyone know how to find the Goat path to get you down to the beach under the cliffs? is it on the way back to Doolin via the cliff walk?

Advertisement