Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Mock

Options
  • 19-02-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

No, I am not telling you what is on it.

What I am here to discuss is that even with absolute precision timing, still didn't get it done, and my teacher (who is correcting mocks from other schools) is saying that 90% of people are not.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I didn't finish the paper. I thought it was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bubbles2001

I finished it but i wrote as fast as I possibly can. It's ridiculous why can't they have two papers

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

I finished it but i wrote as fast as I possibly can. It's ridiculous why can't they have two papers

Its a big fat money saving exercise.

2 hours isn't long enough. Another 20-30 minutes is definitely needed.

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    2 hours isn't long enough. Another 20-30 minutes is definitely needed.

Exactly what I thought. Would have given me time to finish it and have another 20 minutes or so to look over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Absolutely it's a money saving exercise, the whole 'new' JC is, but you are writing too much if you are running out of time.

The SEC usually allow (particularly for JC) a good cushion of time in exams, so unless you have some difficulty writing and write very slowly, you are writing too much.

I will ask a colleague who is correcting mocks if they have seen any evidence of people writing too much and where most are making mistakes.

Exactly what I thought. Would have given me time to finish it and have another 20 minutes or so to look over.

I would have finished the paper in that time and had 5-10 mins for a quick review. I'll ask my teacher about the timing after the break.

spurious wrote: »
    Absolutely it's a money saving exercise, the whole 'new' JC is, but you are writing too much if you are running out of time.

The SEC usually allow (particularly for JC) a good cushion of time in exams, so unless you have some difficulty writing and write very slowly, you are writing too much.

I will ask a colleague who is correcting mocks if they have seen any evidence of people writing too much and where most are making mistakes.

I felt annoyed because I didn't think I wrote enough. I was writing quickly and never used any of the extra space. Let's see what your colleague/my teacher says.

Hmm.... Interesting thing about it was that I just filled their gaps, but was paying attention to my mark/minute timings.

If you could ask that would be great.
    Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I would have finished the paper in that time and had 5-10 mins for a quick review. I'll ask my teacher about the timing after the break.

The Edco Exam Papers have quite a good time plan, if I hadn't of followed it, wouldn't of gotten as much done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm a Maths teacher but I know this was a big issue during our mocks. Many students were distraught. It has been a huge topic of discussion for my colleagues in the English Department over the past week or so. They seem to agree the timing is ridiculous and feel it's a terrible change and nothing but a money saving exercise which is unfair to students. They mostly really like the new course, so it's not a case of them looking to criticise the new JC, they genuinely feel the exam is appalling.

• Advertisement

I'm a Maths teacher but I know this was a big issue during our mocks. Many students were distraught. It has been a huge topic of discussion for my colleagues in the English Department over the past week or so. They seem to agree the timing is ridiculous and feel it's a terrible change and nothing but a money saving exercise which is unfair to students. They mostly really like the new course, so it's not a case of them looking to criticise the new JC, they genuinely feel the exam is appalling.

All of that is spot on. Exam does need work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

There's a good few students not using their time correctly but there are also a lot of people who managed to finish all parts. Those who lost time , for example, people are spending a lot of time on ten mark questions which has lead to people not having enough time for the prescribed poetry which is 20 marks. A few students have also followed the timings rigidly but skipped on to sections were there was less marks available. I'd advise students to practice their studied fiction (novel), studied drama (play) and studied poetry mock questions again under time constraints . Look at the marks available for each part and write enough to get those marks, e.g 15 marks means 3 good points well described and backed up with quotes or references to the text/play/poem. The mocks may be done but there's still loads of time to improve your grades. Practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

I was writing until the very last second !! The timing is reduculous to be honest...
    Nearly every question on that bloody paper was an essay question !! It takes me about half an hour to do one essay question properly let alone 20 something pages of it ! I'd love to see all of these people coming up with the new junior cycle try and finish that exam in the time limit while doing it properly. I'm 100% sure they could not !!!!!

Advertisement