Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilonidal Sinus

Options
  • 19-02-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I had surgery to remove a pilonidal sinus a couple of weeks back which was a great success.
    Since then my surgeon has advised me to to get laser hair removal of the area asap. I am writing here to ask if anyone has suffered with the same issue and resolved it with laser therapy and if so can you recommend a clinic in Cork to do this? I have been to the Therapie clinic and been very disappointed with them. In my opinion it is quite difficult to find a clinic as they are not medically trained and as a result they are nervous to do it and on the other hand doctors and surgeons wont liase with them for legal reasons.
    It would be great to hear your story.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

smon1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had surgery to remove a pilonidal sinus a couple of weeks back which was a great success.
    Since then my surgeon has advised me to to get laser hair removal of the area asap. I am writing here to ask if anyone has suffered with the same issue and resolved it with laser therapy and if so can you recommend a clinic in Cork to do this? I have been to the Therapie clinic and been very disappointed with them. In my opinion it is quite difficult to find a clinic as they are not medically trained and as a result they are nervous to do it and on the other hand doctors and surgeons wont liase with them for legal reasons.
    It would be great to hear your story.
    Thanks
    so thrilled that your surgery went well, my just turned 18 year old had his pilonidal sinus operated on last september and its been a nightmare, he had a primary closure done but the wound reopened and he has had to have dressings done since then, poor kid is in 6th year. I will watch this thread to see if you get any responses because keeping the area hair free long term is a good idea, although, to date, we have been told he should shave every 2/3 days after his wound heals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Evening OP. A successful PS removal after a few weeks. That is great news, congrats. Did you have an excision and primary closure under general anesthesia? On hair removal, did you try the laser clinic on Penrose quay? They may be worth a shot. Most are going to be nervous when dealing with something like a PS. Probably afraid that they'll be in bother if it comes back.

horsey63, how long did it take for the wound to re-open, as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

When he went back to have the stitches out, the surgeon commented that there was a little area at the end and a little area in the middle that opened up, but said not to worry it would heal. We were referred to the Public Health Nurses and were put on daily dressings, it slightly opened up more over the coming weeks and by 6 weeks post op there was no improvement, and the nurses were saying there was a hole underneath the skin joining up the two holes, so 2 months after surgery this 'bridge' was excised and the wound then became 6cm long, so the long battle to get it to heal has been tough, its just under 2cm at the moment.

Advertisement