Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick a gaming screen

Options
  • 19-02-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get my 16 year old son a new gaming screen for his birthday.

My max budget is €300 and right now I'm thinking this is the best bang for buck available.

FYI his gaming PC has this video card.

Thought and/or alternative suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ultrawide monitor gaming is hit-and-miss, I'd stick to standard 16:9 models tbh

Mid-range (27", 75Hz):
    iiyama G-Master GE2788HS-B2, AOC G2778VQ

High-end (24", 144Hz):
    BenQ Zowie XL2411, Asus VG248QE, AOC G2460PF

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

And I will say ultrawide is best thing ever and i will never go back to normal aspect ratio. Used to have 3x1080p and now down to one ultrawide. I like your choice, just make sure to get 29 inch version and not 25.
    1060 will be more then enough to run it. I am using 3440x1440 with 1060 and had no issues running anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Moved to PC gaming, reckon you'll get plenty of answers here OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ultrawide monitor gaming is hit-and-miss, I'd stick to standard 16:9 models tbh

Mid-range (27", 75Hz):
    iiyama G-Master GE2788HS-B2, AOC G2778VQ

High-end (24", 144Hz):
    BenQ Zowie XL2411, Asus VG248QE, AOC G2460PF

He already has a 23" full HD WLED screen with a 2ms response time and he's very happy with it.

I'm beginning to think spending the guts of €300 for a marginal gain of 6" in screen real estate may not be the best choice to make.

Another item on his wish list are a pair of Steel Series Arctis 7 wireless headphones. They are €180 so quite expensive but may be a smarter purchase than €300 for an extra 5"s of screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I've had my eye on the LG 29UC88

It's very like the UM68 except it's brighter, height adjustable, and curved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

He already has a 23" full HD WLED screen with a 2ms response time and he's very happy with it.

I'm beginning to think spending the guts of €300 for a marginal gain of 6" in screen real estate may not be the best choice to make.

Another item on his wish list are a pair of Steel Series Arctis 7 wireless headphones. They are €180 so quite expensive but may be a smarter purchase than €300 for an extra 5"s of screen.

I'd avoid any headset with "7.1" in its marketing slogans, it's shorthand for "overpriced & bad sound" ;)

HyperX Cloud/Cloud Revolver (wired) or LucidSound LS30 (wireless)
    http://www.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-headset/

When you go ultrawide, you are not just going extra few inches, gigidi. Ultrawide gives you higher viewing angle in first/third person shooters. In strategy games you get some more screen estate, which makes it a lot more easier to manage your assets. I am not even talking about driving games.
    Outside of games it shines a lot too. Having two windows open makes working around and multitask a breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Hi all,

I want to get my 16 year old son a new gaming screen for his birthday.

My max budget is €300 and right now I'm thinking this is the best bang for buck available.

FYI his gaming PC has this video card.

Thought and/or alternative suggestions?

+1 on the ultrawide if possible. I know that it's outside of your budget but perhaps save for a few more months?

My one recommendation would be to get a monitor that is flicker free, Take a look at this list of Flicker Free monitors.

Brand wise, you cannot go wrong with BenQ monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Ultrawide all the way, i had a 3x1080p 22" screen setup, went for a 34" LG Ultrawide( expensive at the time and much better our now but its what i spend most of my free/chill out time looking at its more that worth it ). I absolutely love it and would never go back to a 16:9 screen for my gaming PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If your going for a "gaming screen" make sure its 144hz anything else just doesn't cut it.
    You will nit touch 60hz again once you experience 144hz 60hz will just feel ancient, after that you can choose whatever res ,UW or whatever but the single biggest upgrade you will notice is from 60hz to 144hz, trust me I have a 1440 60hz beside my 1080 144 hz and the 1080 144hz destroys the 1440 for gaming simply no comparison.
    I had an LG UW before that and while it was nice especially for racing sims the 60hz ruined the whole experience for me plus quite a few games I play don't support UW res.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dcully wrote: »
    If your going for a "gaming screen" make sure its 144hz anything else just doesn't cut it.
    You will nit touch 60hz again once you experience 144hz 60hz will just feel ancient, after that you can choose whatever res ,UW or whatever but the single biggest upgrade you will notice is from 60hz to 144hz, trust me I have a 1440 60hz beside my 1080 144 hz and the 1080 144hz destroys the 1440 for gaming simply no comparison.
    I had an LG UW before that and while it was nice especially for racing sims the 60hz ruined the whole experience for me plus quite a few games I play don't support UW res.

What would you suggest in 144hz and that price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I can imagine that for FPS the more frames the better but in something less twitchy like a RTS 60fps would be good.

I'm more into RTS and other strategy games so the ultrawide has more appeal for me.

There always will be war between 60hz vs 144hz. Preferences are all fair enough, but in this case going 144hz with particular budget would not be wise.

Going from 23inch 60hz to 23inch 144hz barely improvement. Wheres from 23inch to ultrawide is an actual upgrade for all of the pcs tasks and gaming, wheres 144hz is pretty much only good for first person shooters and even then if you are anally competitve in cs go or overwatch. Other then that 144hz wasted.

I am still on a path of:

Ultrawide>IPS>144hz

Each to its own as I said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What would you suggest in 144hz and that price range?

Id go with a 1080 gsync/freesync 144hz screen.
    I'm running the AOC G2460PG but that's the gsync version and a bit over OP budget the freesync version is a good bit cheaper.
    There are non gsync/freesync 1080 144hz options too that would be cheaper.
    The ASUS VG248QE comes to mind.

edit :

Just spotted this one,not gsync or freesync but seems a bargain

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-g2460fq-24-1920x1080-tn-widescreen-144hz-1ms-gaming-led-monitor-black-mo-024-ao.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The main problem with that is you need fairly new cpu to get 144FPS in newer titles, gsynch or freesynch is a better overall option for >60Hz but costs more and/or locks you into a gpu manufacturer.

My ideal would be to own a 100hz UW gsynch, some day.......
    Personally i prefer UW over >60Hz but thats my preference( and 8 year old x58 platform )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm waiting for a Freesync 1440p IPS screen to drop in price myself.

'Tis a long wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd play in 720p if it meant I could keep my 144hz. I can never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a Freesync 1440p IPS screen to drop in price myself.

'Tis a long wait.....

Still in the £500 ballpark.

Advertisement