Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siberian husky- best type of food

Options
  • 19-02-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi after stumbling across a couple of threads about dog food, i have been informed i have been feeding my husky a really poor quality food (bakers) i didn't realise how bad they are for a dog until i done a bit of research. I'm going to be ordering from zooplus.ie as i have been recommended by a couple of people. My question is what type of food to choose? I understand now that a husky thrives on high protein and high fat content. I have narrowed it down to a couple of different types.....
    1: Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Canine (€4:54kg)-(13kg=€58.99)
    2: Markus Mühle NaturNah (€2.67kg)-(15kg=€40)
    3: Acana Cobb Chicken & Greens Dry Dog Food (€5.09kg)-(11.4kg=€57.99)

Then there's the likes of
    James Wellbeloved Adult - Duck & Rice but there is a lot of rice in that and iv'e been told to stay away from that?? Any help would be really appreciated, she's about 18-20kilos and a bit fussy :) If i'm completely wrong with these choices please do inform me and are the choices iv'e mentioned good in value? Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scot1964

I have 2 huskies, 10+ years, and fed them on Burns chicken and rice since birth. No problems, no allergy or skin issues, keeps them regular. Used to be Vet only supply but others have started to stock it.

Also, a pigs ears every morning when i go to work, they love them.

Stay away from Bakers etc as you've found already,

Should have said, its not the cheapest, but don't need to feed them too much of it, 200/250 grams full adult so a large bag can last for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Mask 13

scot1964 wrote: »
    I have 2 huskies, 10+ years, and fed them on Burns chicken and rice since birth. No problems, no allergy or skin issues, keeps them regular. Used to be Vet only supply but others have started to stock it.

Also, a pigs ears every morning when i go to work, they love them.

Stay away from Bakers etc as you've found already,

Thanks for the feedback, a pigs ear, i must try that she'd love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

James Wellbeloved is an excellent food, but the fat content probably isn't high enough for a husky, I have never used any of the three that you mention, so can't comment on the quality.

My huskies are currently on either Royal Canin 4300 - a working sleddog food, or Alpha High Performance. The Royal Canin medium sensible is also great for huskies as its higher in fat than most of their range, it is given as prizes in a lot of sled dog competitions, the 4300 is also used a lot, but you can only get that from the breeder rep here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Muddypaws, is there need for the high-fat content if the husky isn't being exercised at a fairly major or competitive level? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

DBB wrote: »
    Muddypaws, is there need for the high-fat content if the husky isn't being exercised at a fairly major or competitive level? :)

Apparently so, the thinking is that as they came from somewhere with little vegetation or cereal, they do best on a diet rich in protein and fat, with high meat content, seal, fish and whatever the inuits could hunt would have been the major part of their diet. As they are such efficient eaters though, they don't need as much food as you would expect for a dog of their size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Hooked

2 more boys in this house...

Fed Markus Meuhle in the mornings.
    I buy 2 at a time with the 5% discount also.

Raw diet in the afternoon. I make my own parcels with veggies, rice, mince, fish, egg, herbs, etc...

Big brisket bones for their teeth every few weeks.

Supplement the kibble every now and then with salmon oil, natural yoghurt, an egg, etc...

Both dogs in great shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

muddypaws wrote: »
    Apparently so, the thinking is that as they came from somewhere with little vegetation or cereal, they do best on a diet rich in protein and fat, with high meat content, seal, fish and whatever the inuits could hunt would have been the major part of their diet. As they are such efficient eaters though, they don't need as much food as you would expect for a dog of their size.

Yeah they love meat.

I feed my 40kg Sibe/Mal mix champion grain free chicken and always buy him 2 or 3 packs of chicken legs/thighs from lidl every week and feed them raw to him.

They are only 3e/kg, cheaper than the nuts and he loves them, great for treats.

https://dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/cats/champion-/

Advertisement