Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Ordinary level irish!

Options
  • 19-02-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was placed into ordinary from the beginning of first year and i know that i want to psychology and i won't have the points for it with lower maths and irish, i'm prepared to put in a load of work to go from Junior Cert Lower to Leaving cert higher. I asked the SEC and the deputy principal in my school and they both said yeah. How big is the jump between the levels and how many hours should i put in and how should i start studying once my junior cert is over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Are you doing hope math? That would make sense considering the extra 25 points.
    If you're going into fifth year I think you could do decently well in Irish though I don't do higher so I can't say. There's definitely gonna be a fair bit of work left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bubbles2001

I did higher maths in second year . Our school is streamed so it's particularly unfair because in most situations it difficult to move up when you're put down in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I was placed into ordinary from the beginning of first year and i know that i want to psychology and i won't have the points for it with lower maths and irish, i'm prepared to put in a load of work to go from Junior Cert Lower to Leaving cert higher. I asked the SEC and the deputy principal in my school and they both said yeah. How big is the jump between the levels and how many hours should i put in and how should i start studying once my junior cert is over.

Are you looking to move to honours maths or honours Irish? From the title I'm assuming you mean Irish?

Well to be honest it kind of depends on what grade you'll get at pass Irish for the Junior Cert. In OL Irish for the Leaving Cert you 5 stories and 5 poems which are the same for HL. In OL you write stories and letters whereas in HL you write essays on different topics and debates too. The grammar is much more complex and you're expected to have a much higher standard for the Oral exam which is worth 40% of your grade. In HL you also have to do an extra piece of literature which isn't on the OL course.

I've never heard of anyone doing it but I'm sure you could. The best thing would be to try to go to the Gaeltacht this summer. The course would help you immensely.

Other than that, I'd get yourself a grammar book and start doing exercises over Summer. Get yourself a set of HL JC papers maybe and work on the Listening exams and Reading Comprehensions. Realistically all you want to do is be on par with your classmates when you go into honours Irish in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bubbles2001

Honours irsh and thanks i'll work very hard to get this. I'm planning on going to gealttacht after fifth year because our school gives schlorships in fifth year

Advertisement