Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC/Gaming/Emulation Build

Options
  • 19-02-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭

Have decided to finally upgrade my dinosaur of an HTPC, which is running a Core2Duo & 4GB of DDR2 Ram - what a machine :o

Anyway, as part of the upgrade process, I've decided I want the new machine to be able to play pc games from Steam etc, at 1080p, 60fps, on very high/ultra if possible. I've also decided I'd like to run Launchbox on it, emulating everything from Atari to Wii U via Cemu, so will need to put some thought into it. I''ll be moving from several 1TB 3.5" drives, to a max of 2 3.5" drives, so can move to a small form factor.

Here's my preliminary shopping list:

Mobo - ASUS Intel LGA1151 H110 I-Plus (about £65 on Amazon)
    CPU - Core i5 7600 (about £213 on Overclockers)
    CPU Cooler - - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (about £87 on Overclockers)
    RAM - Kingston Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133Mhz (about £69 on Overclockers)
    HDD's - x2 WD Blue 3TB 3.5" (about £90 each on Amazon)
    SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (about £88 on Amazon)
    PSU - EVGA 650w G2 Gold 80+ (about £90 on Amazon)
    GFX - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Superclocked (about £255 on Amazon)
    Case - Thermaltake Core V1 (about £38 on Amazon)

Total Cost - £1085

Quite pricey, but I'm not sure if there's much room for compromise. I need a strong CPU for emulation, with as high single core clock speed as I can. I also need several cores for pc gaming. I really want good quiet cooling, so have opted for the AIO cooler. I need about 4TB of space for the HTPC end of things, but also want to leave room for new content, plus all the emulation/roms etc so reckon about 6TB should give me what I need. I want an SSD for obvious reasons, a strong and reliable PSU because they're an oft overlooked and cheaped out on component, and a good mid range card that'll handle 1080p @60fps on the settings I want. I've gone 1060 over 480 because I've not had good experiences with AMD cards over the years either.

Any glaring holes in the above parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks solid to me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD Zen is released in less than 2 weeks FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AMD Zen is released in less than 2 weeks FYI

AMD have a lot of convincing to do if I'm go go AMD for cpu. Had a look at the general design & specs there, certainly interesting & should promote them back into the fight with Kaby Lake etc. Have there been any hands on real world feedback/reviews of Zen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Inviere wrote: »
    AMD have a lot of convincing to do if I'm go go AMD for cpu. Had a look at the general design & specs there, certainly interesting & should promote them back into the fight with Kaby Lake etc. Have there been any hands on real world feedback/reviews of Zen?

Not yet, everything is under NDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Inviere

The 1600X is certainly giving me pause for thought.... I might hold off until Q2 and see how they fare in reality before committing to the above

• Advertisement
Advertisement