Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Recommendation?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi there

I'd really appreciate any guidance you could give me.

Looking for a laptop (Windows only) with a few requirements:

Can run excel and word without freezing
    Decent trackpad
    15.6" if possible
    No more than 500gb is necessary, in fact I'f probably get away with 256gb.

Weight and portability is not an issue. All I use a laptop for is word and excel, general internet browsing and a few youtube videos. Budget would be €800.

I'd really appreciate any feedback- I get burned before with a Dell laptop- the trackpad was a disaster so I swore I'd ask for advice before I purchase again.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sodabread wrote: »
    Hi there

I'd really appreciate any guidance you could give me.

Looking for a laptop (Windows only) with a few requirements:

Can run excel and word without freezing
    Decent trackpad
    15.6" if possible
    No more than 500gb is necessary, in fact I'f probably get away with 256gb.

Weight and portability is not an issue. All I use a laptop for is word and excel, general internet browsing and a few youtube videos. Budget would be €800.

I'd really appreciate any feedback- I get burned before with a Dell laptop- the trackpad was a disaster so I swore I'd ask for advice before I purchase again.

Many thanks

Your requirements are minimal. As your storage isn't excessive you should definitely get a SSD. Regarding trackpads you'll have to read reviews to see what people think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mordeith wrote: »
    Your requirements are minimal. As your storage isn't excessive you should definitely get a SSD. Regarding trackpads you'll have to read reviews to see what people think.

+1, better yet try and get out to some shops to try before you buy. You'll often find Dell in brick and morter shops too. You should be able to get a machine that will do what you want for under 500. You might even get a 256GB SSD to go with it. That would make it lightning fast for the tasks you require. It'll turn on in seconds rather than minutes, and apps will open instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

Thank you for both replies. Much appreciated.

Any opinions on Acer's at the following links?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-aspire-15.6-laptop-f5-573.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-aspire-es-15.6-laptop-es1-572.html

How old is the 7200U version of I5?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Koolhanger

I find HP laptops to be excellent. I have the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible (can fold over and use as tablet - but I just use it as laptop most of the time tbh).

Trackpad is excellent on it and battery life of 8hrs approx with normal browsing, ms word use etc.

I have had it over a year and the battery life is still as good as day one.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-x360-15bk057sa-156-2-in-1-silver/338091/401.0.0

Was about €800 when I got it but seems to be down to €699 now.

Advertisement