Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too old to do the fetac level 5 and 6 computer systems and networks course ?

Options
  • 18-02-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the fetac level 5 in computer systems and networks at carlow college of further education next september with a view to continuing onto the level 6 afterwards and then hopefully a degree in IT carlow or LIT.
    the thing is i am 54 now and would be 56 by the time i enter third level?
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol

my question is? am i too old to enter the computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

foggyn wrote: »
    hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the fetac level 5 in computer systems and networks at carlow college of further education next september with a view to continuing onto the level 6 afterwards and then hopefully a degree in IT carlow or LIT.
    the thing is i am 54 now and would be 56 by the time i enter third level?
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol

my question is? am i too old to enter the computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,

Hey,

Fair play for improving yourself.

I did a FETAC 5 in computers and networks in 2015 (at 43 years old). Unfortunately all it did was highlight to me how far behind I was. In IT experience is king. You can have all the certs you want but if you don't have the experience to back it up its tough.

Now I didn't go any further than FETAC 5 so I have no idea how a level 6 and degree might work for you. It could stand you to great stead.

I sent out countless CV's to computer repair shops and businesses all over the place (based in Cork) and heard nothing back from any of them.

You need to be up to speed on VPNs, Virtualisation, cloud computing, active directory.

Sorry if I sound a bit defeatist but it is a tough business. There are people coming out of college with degrees in computer science who can't find work.

When I did my course there was a course in software development running alongside it. If I had my time back I'd have done that one.

I'd say your age is no barrier. In IT its all about the experience. Offer your tim e free of charge if you can find anyone to show you the ropes.

Best of luck with everything !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

No. You are not too old for FETAC Level 5. Speaking from personal experience. Did 2 Fetac level 5 courses in the last 5 years 1 was a 12 week course and I got a distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Were you able to find suitable work after completing them 5rtytry56?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Not in their speciality, but yes I did find work in the hospitality sector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement