Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the Dublin Bus ferry Connection (53 still operates)

Options
  • 17-02-2017 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I see an announcement in the Dublin bus notices, that the Dublin Bus Ferry Service will cease to operate from the 5th March.

At least the 53 will still serve the Ferryport, but it will mean no bus before 7am monday-saturday, after 7pm monday-saturday, before 10.30 sunday morning or no bus after 5.30 sunday evening.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Bus-Ferry-Connection/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It doesn't mean that there will be no bus, simply that Dublin Bus special service will not be operating.

Maybe Irish Ferries have contracted someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

possibly i suppose, fingers crossed someone takes over

But, then again it wasnt exactly a busy service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

thomasj wrote: »
    possibly i suppose, fingers crossed someone takes over

But, then again it wasnt exactly a busy service.

The morning service to the port was also often unreliable as well.

I used it twice in the last five years, both times because I had to cross over to the UK at short notice and flights were either far too expensive of sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Can taxis be easily got from the Point?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Can taxis be easily got from the Point?

Early in the morning - no. Need to phone/app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is this not an NTA connection ? Bit "not-really-joined-up-thinking"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I never found the DB connections to the FP to be at times that worked for me. They don't serve the Stems terminal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

n97 mini wrote: »
    I never found the DB connections to the FP to be at times that worked for me. They don't serve the Stems terminal either.
    I am not sure what you are getting at, they are (were) timed to connect with the ferries.

It would be rather surprising if they connected with Stena as they were a private hire for Irish Ferries.
    Stena have their own private hire run by Mortons.
    What would be useful is if there was a bus stop put near the Stena Terminal for the 53, currently the nearest is at the IF terminal.

Sadly it looks like there won't be a replacement for the 53B, IF have removed the info from their website, if they had contracted someone else I'd expect them to have put that up.

53 connections aren't great, particularly for arrivals: 45-90 min waits and if the evening swift is more than a few minutes late then the last bus will be missed.

John R wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are getting at, they are (were) timed to connect with the ferries.

It would be rather surprising if they connected with Stena as they were a private hire for Irish Ferries.
    Stena have their own private hire run by Mortons.
    What would be useful is if there was a bus stop put near the Stena Terminal for the 53, currently the nearest is at the IF terminal.

Sadly it looks like there won't be a replacement for the 53B, IF have removed the info from their website, if they had contracted someone else I'd expect them to have put that up.

53 connections aren't great, particularly for arrivals: 45-90 min waits and if the evening swift is more than a few minutes late then the last bus will be missed.

Mortons have that bizarre non-connection with Connolly/Busaras going out, while serving them going in.

Anyone cost up a Luas extension from the Point? :rolleyes:

The early morning one was a bit tight... 5 mins later would leave a bit of breathing room.

Having two different routes serving the two different ferry terminals was a bit like having two different buses for T1 and T2 at the airport. Keep it simple if you want to encourage use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

n97 mini wrote: »

Having two different routes serving the two different ferry terminals was a bit like having two different buses for T1 and T2 at the airport. Keep it simple if you want to encourage use.

It appears that this may be what is happening now.

Mortons are now running the Irish Ferries connection. 7.15, 13.30 and 1900 from Westmoreland Street. 7.30 and 19.00 are the same times as their Stena connections, afternoon is different at 14.00 for Stena.

No pick up at Busaras, drop off connection from all IF arrivals at Connolly and Westmoreland St.

Main difference is an earlier 19.00 for the 20.55 sailing, it was 20.00 previously.

It appears that this may be what is happening now.

Mortons are now running the Irish Ferries connection. 7.15, 13.30 and 1900 from Westmoreland Street. 7.30 and 19.00 are the same times as their Stena connections, afternoon is different at 14.00 for Stena.

No pick up at Busaras, drop off connection from all IF arrivals at Connolly and Westmoreland St.

Main difference is an earlier 19.00 for the 20.55 sailing, it was 20.00 previously.

Westmoreland Street. :rolleyes:

Next time I'll get a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Anyone cost up a Luas extension from the Point? :rolleyes:

No nor should they you don't build a mass transit option for a handful of people

Westmoreland Street. :rolleyes:

Next time I'll get a taxi.

Last time we got a taxi from Connolly... 14 feckin quid!

I agree Connolly-ish would be a better place for the bus to start from a train perspective but Westmoreland St has Tara around the corner and is probably closer to DB routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

No nor should they you don't build a mass transit option for a handful of people

They could simply operate a feeder bus to the point but with the mortons service no point.

You did notice my rolleyes, didnt you? I wasnt being serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You did notice my rolleyes, didnt you? I wasnt being serious.

Owe right sorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I heard from someone that's works close to this, the situation was that this was a private hire by Dublin bus for Irish Ferries. The deal was whatever cash they took in was taken off the bill, so say DB charged IF 1k a day and they took in 900 the fee was only 100 euro.

This was going on years and suited everyone. A private bus company complained about this setup, apparently no licence was issued or sought. One day a few weeks ago an NTA inspector jumped on the bus and asked to see the licence, the driver thought they were looking for his CPC card etc and started to hand that over. But no it was the actual licence for the route as they were taken cash so not a private hire.

Advertisement