Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming categories? Juniors, Masters?

Options
  • 17-02-2017 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I can swim about 200m non-stop at the moment.

I don't want to commit to any club long term as I'm not sure how enthusiastic I'll remain but given that I live in Clontarf, there are plenty of swimming pools about. The sea is too cold for me, lol

Some people have recommended Masters swimming. What exactly is that? What age group or skill level is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Congrats on getting into swimming, I hope you're enjoying it.

Masters swimming is basically organised, and usually coached, training for 18+. Standards vary from club to club but most cater for a wide range; ex-club speedsters to those just starting out. You're grouped into different lanes with people of a similar speed/ability. Some people do it to compete, some just for the fitness and others for the chats before and after!

I would highly recommend giving one a go. They can offer great support with coaches and other swimmers who can provide feedback, coaching and push you further than you think you can go yourself. You'll learn how to swim better and progress much quicker than if you were to swim by yourself.

Most clubs will let you come down on a trial basis to give it a go and see if it's for you before signing up to anything. It isn't for everyone, some people just like to pooter up and down a lane by themselves, but I think it's well worth trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

With the indoor season coming to an end in the next few months and people moving out doors I would recommend that you build up over the summer by increasing your distance on your own or with similar level swimmers.

The "Swim for a mile" program is ongoing and might be still taking entrants but may be beyond you at this stage as it is on next month.
    I can forward you on programs from them if you want. Also don't be afraid to get into the sea or preferably a lake nearby during the summer and do a few open water swims. The pool can be depressing when the sun is shining and you might find a few like minded individuals for regular meets.

Masters swimming is tough but certainly do-able, I started in October and we would cover anything from 1.7km to 2.7km in an hour depending on the workout.

Get familiar with the different drills such as skulling, swimming with one arm at a time, kick drills with a float, (also using a pull buoy and paddle and fins if you have them. ) You will be incorporating them in time into your workouts.

Use the next 6 months or so to build up to being able to do 10 x 100 with 20 second break for instance at 70% effort (you should be covering 100m in 2.15/2.20 or so in a few months.) Also practice a bit of backstroke and breast stroke if you can in each session.

Plan your session and train consistently and you fill find the masters training alot more beneficial if you join in the autumn.
    I have no problem forwarding you some workouts if you need them.

I was like you this time 14 months ago, the Swim for a mile program got me training properly and after the summer in the lake I joined the masters and would hope to knock 5 or 6 minutes off my 1600m time from last year.

Advertisement