Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payday 3 Confirmed in production

Options
  • 17-02-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

while i initially loved payday and got plenty of hours out of it however the introduction of micro transactions have left a sour taste - haven't play since.

But Payday 3 is confirmed but it will be a while yet before it is released. No teaser trailers at the moment. If looks good i may get back into it depending on the type micro transactions and reviews.

Source:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Same havent played since the micro transactions came in.

Shame tho it was a good game and in fairness after what they did with Payday 1 it should have been expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I just don't trust overkill anymore, they just seem to constantly lie about everything.

they were developing a new walking dead game which was announced, now that's announced not rumoured, to come out in 2016. Not a single word since 2015. Nobody knows if it's still in dev or canned and overkill aint talking.

Then the microtransactions. Jaysis. They literally said "we'll never have microtransactions in payday 2". Then they had them, do they still have them? I'm guessing yeah.

I'll look up on P3 from time to time but as far as i'm concerned that company is run by a shower of ****.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can't trust them, won't trust them. Won't be buying this. Found the PayDay 2 community really horrible anyway, no one was willing to ever let a noob join their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm confused, why the hate for Overkill over the microtransactions issue? Didn't they remove them as soon as they (or their parent company Starbreeze) bought the rights of the franchise back from the previous publishers, 505 Games? Wouldn't that be a fairly reasonable indication that the decision to include them in the first place didn't come from in-house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gizmo wrote: »
    I'm confused, why the hate for Overkill over the microtransactions issue? Didn't they remove them as soon as they (or their parent company Starbreeze) bought the rights of the franchise back from the previous publishers, 505 Games? Wouldn't that be a fairly reasonable indication that the decision to include them in the first place didn't come from in-house?

O/K owned 505 games .... but yes, they eventually recanted on their implementation of micro-transactions after they received a very bad, and prolonged, reaction from the community. So they're not "gone" per-se, just more like the CS:GO skins market. There is some stats-altering gun skins, but you can achieve the same result with in-game mod drops.

They've gone someway to making amends with some decent content since, but all the same, the sour taste is still left lingering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Also rather than patch Payday 1 like they said they would, they released Payday 2 with all the features 1 was supposed to have.

Lemming wrote: »
    O/K owned 505 games .... but yes, they eventually recanted on their implementation of micro-transactions after they received a very bad, and prolonged, reaction from the community. So they're not "gone" per-se, just more like the CS:GO skins market. There is some stats-altering gun skins, but you can achieve the same result with in-game mod drops.

They've gone someway to making amends with some decent content since, but all the same, the sour taste is still left lingering.
    Not sure about that, Overkill are a subsidiary of Starbreeze and it was the latter who signed the publishing deal back in 2015 for Payday 2. When the deal was severed, Starbreeze even agreed to pay 505 Games 33% of the revenue made from future sales of Payday 3 after certain conditions were met.

I totally understand the backlash to the original move and the sour taste that would have left but it kind of looks like it's misplaced in this instance?

Not sure about that, Overkill are a subsidiary of Starbreeze and it was the latter who signed the publishing deal back in 2015 for Payday 2. When the deal was severed, Starbreeze even agreed to pay 505 Games 33% of the revenue made from future sales of Payday 3 after certain conditions were met.

I totally understand the backlash to the original move and the sour taste that would have left but it kind of looks like it's misplaced in this instance?

No, not misplaced. I'm now hesitant to recall if it was 505 or Starbreeze that Overkill actually owned (without going back and reading up on it - which I cannot be arsed at this point, sorry), not the other way around. It was an accountancy exercise in smoke & mirrors and I recall being surprised to see a development studio owning their publisher and not the other way around.

No, not misplaced. I'm now hesitant to recall if it was 505 or Starbreeze that Overkill actually owned (without going back and reading up on it - which I cannot be arsed at this point, sorry), not the other way around. It was an accountancy exercise in smoke & mirrors and I recall being surprised to see a development studio owning their publisher and not the other way around.
    Must have been a different case then because Overkill were bought by Starbreeze around eight months after the release of the first Payday. That title was originally published by Sony Online Entertainment so it wasn't too surprising when a publisher, 505 Games in this case, was brought on board to fund continued development and bring the game to more platforms.

My misplaced comment is with respect to comments like degrassinoel's which, to be fair, aren't exactly uncommon regarding the company in light of the microtransactions debacle. If you're going to claim a company is run by a bunch of **** because of a decision made, I would have thought it'd be a good idea to at least direct your ire at the correct company. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

My misplaced comment is with respect to comments like degrassinoel's which, to be fair, aren't exactly uncommon regarding the company in light of the microtransactions debacle. If you're going to claim a company is run by a bunch of **** because of a decision made, I would have thought it'd be a good idea to at least direct your ire at the correct company. :)

not sure what i've done to earn your ire AGAIN gizmo. Maybe you could have quoted me from the start instead of sniping at me.

• Advertisement

I wasn't sniping in the slightest man, apologies if it came across that way. As I said above, you're not the only one who has a negative opinion of Overkill, not just on this thread which is why I didn't directly quote you, but also across the wider community.

What's continued to fascinate me about the whole thing is that, when looking at the events both before and after the appearance of the microtransactions, the most logical reason for their introduction appears to be that they were contractually required by the publisher, 505 Games. That doesn't mean their addition wasn't awful but it's why I originally asked why it was Overkill who were the subject of everyone's anger and not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Wasn't it Overkill that left their console version of the game broken for well over a year, and told players if they wanted to play a working version, then go play it on PC. I can't look for links or anything right now but I'm pretty sure I'm right. Payday was a bit of fun but I'd never buy another game from them if that's their attitude towards players.

Similar problem there too, Overkill were the developers whereas Sony Online Entertainment (or Daybreak as they're now known post acquisition) were the publishers. The developer are at the mercy of publishers when it comes to continued support for a game, regardless of the platform.

It's the same problem that Turtle Rock faced at the end of last year when they had to cease development of Evolve due to 2K effectively canning it.

Must have been a different case then because Overkill were bought by Starbreeze around eight months after the release of the first Payday. That title was originally published by Sony Online Entertainment so it wasn't too surprising when a publisher, 505 Games in this case, was brought on board to fund continued development and bring the game to more platforms.

You're not listening. Overkill IS Starbreeze. Starbreeze "bought" Overkill but Overkill control Starbreeze. The purchase was a stock-exchange accountacy smoke & mirrors tactic; basically Overkill wanted access to the stock markets so they "merged" with the much smaller Starbreeze to gain that access without having to go through the whole listing process. After the "takeover" by Starbreeze, Overkill's CEO (a founding member) took the position of StarBreeze CEO.

Wasn't it Overkill that left their console version of the game broken for well over a year, and told players if they wanted to play a working version, then go play it on PC.

Yes it was.

You're not listening. Overkill IS Starbreeze. Starbreeze "bought" Overkill but Overkill control Starbreeze. The purchase was a stock-exchange accountacy smoke & mirrors tactic; basically Overkill wanted access to the stock markets so they "merged" with the much smaller Starbreeze to gain that access without having to go through the whole listing process. After the "takeover" by Starbreeze, Overkill's CEO (a founding member) took the position of StarBreeze CEO.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of the particulars of the acquisition, cheers!

That being said, it doesn't really change the crux of the argument with regard to the introduction of the microtransactions. It was the deal with 505 Games which saw their introduction and the severing of that contract which saw their removal. Whether it's Starbreeze or Overkill who are in control of the other party is largely irrelevant since it's still 505 who will be the publisher in the agreement.

Advertisement