Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding my prescription

Options
  • 17-02-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I understand and respect the "no advice" charter so not looking for advice.

Mods: If helping me to interpret and understand my prescription is deemed to be "advice" then please delete the thread straight away, no problem.

So in 2015 my prescription was:

R: +1.75/-0.25 x 102
    L: +2.75/-0.50 x 80

Now my prescription is:

R: 6/5+ +0.75/-0.25 x 105 6/5
    L: 6/12+ +2.00/-0.75 x 90 6/5

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I may not be perfect on this, but bear with me.

2015 script was given for longsightedness (difficult to focus close up):

Right eye: Sph (main correction) +1.75
    Cyl (fine tune correction) -0.25
    Axis (positioning for fine tune) 102
    Left Eye: Sph +2.75
    Cyl -0.50
    Axis 80

2017 Script appears to include visual acuity unaided and aided (this is where people refer to 20/20 or 6/6 vision - depending on feet or metres used)
    Right: Unaided VA 6/5 (better than 6/6)
    Sph +0.75
    Cyl -0.25
    Axis 105
    Aided VA 6/5
    Left: Unaided VA 6/12 (worse than 6/6)
    Sph +2.00
    Cyl -0.75
    Axis 90
    Aided VA 6/5

You can google what each of the numbers means, but in terms of VA, the lower the second number, the better. 6/60 (top row of chart) would say that you can see at 6 metres, what someone with normal vision can see at 60 metres. 6/5 (way down the chart) is that you can see at 6 metres, what someone with normal vision can see at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Wow, thanks robyntmorton, that's phenomenal info.

I find it a bit frustrating that the prescription isn't explained in more detail and in particular the change in between prescriptions and what impact that may have or advice on how to prepare/minimise/reverse what may happen going forward if the trend continues.

Instead I get a short very broad summary which essentially concludes new lenses are needed and here you go, talk to the assistants who will help you choose your frames etc.

I guess we get what we pay for and in future instead of going to a well known chain where you are processed in a conveyor type manner I should pay extra and spend time with an optometrist who will take the time to explain things to me and answer the questions I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That's the problem with the larger places, in that they don't have the time to start explaining the finer details of it. They should at least give you some understanding though, out of politeness more than anything.

I believe what I told you is the correct reading of the script, but hopefully someone can confirm it one way or the other. I'm glad it was some help though.

Advertisement