Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop bluray drive

Options
  • 17-02-2017 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Good morning Boardsies. I have a quick question. I currently have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L870 laptop with a knackered optical drive. I want to get a Bluray reader to replace the old drive. Is it just a matter of buying a replacement drive and slotting it in or will I need proprietary software in order for the replacement drive to work. All I want to do with it is make copies of my own personally owned Bluray collection with MakeMkv.
    Also, are there any bricks and Mortar shops where I could purchase a suitable drive? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I just use a USB powered one I got of amazon. Its slow though. But I do a backup so rarely it doesn't matter. If you can use a desktop one, even a full sized external I would get one of those if I was going to do it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

Hello, yes i use a USB powered one too and i think it's the best solution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Normally there are only 2-3 screws holding the optical drive in place- thereafter it really is as simple as taking one out and slotting the other one in.

Bare drives ship with no software- depending on what software you currently have, you may have to buy additional software for the drive. A reliable inexpensive purchase would be the OEM suite of Nero software- its about 20 quid (for the barebones version- they'll try to upsell you to the all bells and whistles versions that cost up to 150 quid- but you don't need them.......)

Its a simple enough swap out- nothing major other than a few screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Thanks for the feedback guys. In the end I just got this which I am chuffed with. Its doing a 1:1 backup of my Blurays in less than an hour with Makemkv so all is good.

Advertisement