Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the 4g modems anyway consistent

Options
  • 17-02-2017 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

So right now I'm using my phone as a hotspot which is annoying because I sometimes need to use it but that'll interrupt what I'm doing on my PC. I've been thinking of getting a 4g modem but I just wanted to ask you guys is it worth it? I have a 1 bar, sometimes 2 when I'm connected to 4g but would the modem make a pretty big difference? I'm on the three network.

Also, during the evening my speeds drop a good bit and are pretty inconsistent and it switches from 3G to 4G and it's just a general pain in the ass to use. Will the modem fix any of that or is that just completely down to the traffic on the network and there's nothing I can do about that? Regarding speeds will I also notice a significant upgrade in the speeds I get? What I'm essentially looking for is some kind of consistency with this modem and a decent upgrade in terms of the speeds that I'll be getting.

Would appreciate if somebody could answer some of my questions or if somebody was in a similar situation and the 4g modem completely fixed most of the issues. It's like 120 quid for a modem so just want to make sure that it'll be worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Generally with a 4g modem such as the Huawei B693, you will get a noticeable signal boost over using a mobile, especially if you have the rabbit ear antennae attached.

In my own experience in my parents house in a rural area, I was getting no signal from Three indoor or outdoor and a very weak signal from Vodafone indoor on a phone. With the Huawei B593 we were able to achieve 1-2 bars 4g Three outdoor, and a solid 2 bars indoor on Vodafone. In the end I ended up installing an external antenna to connect to the Three network, and get a 2-3 bars with speedtests between 10-20mb. Could probably get more on Vodafone.

The B593 can be got for around €50 delivered from Germany on eBay. They're unlocked to all networks. It'll be worth a try, and if it doesn't work out, it wouldn't be hard to sell on. If it's a case that the local mast is congested, then the modem wont make much difference.

What network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He says he's on Three.

Above is correct but won't fix contention. Generally that'll give you great daytime speeds but poor peak time speeds. Better than now but not perfect. Fixed line will always be more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hello447

I see people around here talking about the B315, is the B593 anyway as good as it? Is it worth splashing out on the B315 or should I just get the B593 to see does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

is there much of a difference in connectivity between the b513u-12 from germany an the b593s-22 from kuait, will the customs extra make it too expensive for what it will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

flutered wrote: »
    is there much of a difference in connectivity between the b513u-12 from germany an the b593s-22 from kuait, will the customs extra make it too expensive for what it will do
    People on here who ordered from the Kuwait sellers were supposedly waiting weeks/months for them to arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    People on here who ordered from the Kuwait sellers were supposedly waiting weeks/months for them to arrive.
    thanks op, i will probably click on it later on the past week i have got downloads from 8mbps to 20mbps on my fone which i am using as a router, so hopefully this router will enable me to stream movies via roku and kodi, via my roku2 and google nexus player

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Commsguy

Router plus external antenna gives the a reasonable speed boost and stabilise the signal strength.

A friend of mine was getting speeds of 4 to 12m depending on time of day.
    After installing external antenna he is getting 17 to 25m.

Advertisement