Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No services for social anxiety sufferers in this country?

Options
  • 17-02-2017 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any facility in this country to help people with social anxiety who are struggling to find a job that they can cope with?

I feel it's been a huge disability for me all my life, yet it's like an illness that seems invisible to the larger population. If you have a physical disability or a more obvious mental one, there are agencies there to help. But I feel like social anxiety is an illness that you have to suffer alone and in silence. Does anyone else feel the same? Like there is absolutely no support system in this country? You're just left to fall through the cracks of society.

I would love to be able to go into the welfare department and speak to someone who understands that I can only do a very specific kind of job, OR that maybe I could do something more engaging if I had an employer that understood my problem and would be supportive.

I'm 37 years old now. I spent most of my adult life in manual labour jobs that allowed me to hide away in the background but have found myself unemployed for a while now and unable to get something else similar. I have a degree in Software Development that I never made use of because the thought of working in a Development 'Team' and speaking at team meetings etc terrifies me. I would dearly love to go back and make use of my degree, or some other job that I could actually make a proper career out of, but I feel like I need some help and support to face that. Is there any facility in this country to help with this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

I suffer from social anxiety as well, and I too feel the way you do sometimes. I have found nothing in this country that helps sufferers, apart from meds and counselling. I am 37 as well, and have been unemployed for a while. I wish there was something in this country to help people like us, but there is nothing.

There is nothing more I can say, apart from maybe looking online for a support group or something. I think that there is a social anxiety meet up in Dublin on meetup.com. You can also try self help books as well. That's all I can think of. I wish I had something more positive to add, but sadly that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_and_disability/supported_employment_for_people_with_disabilities.html

Hi , my son has depression,anxiety ,amongst other issues and is with EmployAbility Services ,an organisation that helps find work for people with a Disability or other issues . Am not great at explaining this , so apologies :)

They are great from my experience with son . They meet you , chat about what areas of work you would like to be in, your issues regarding what may be holding you back , ie; son had major anxiety about being in crowded places , too many people etc ,. They try to tailor it to suit your needs, arrange work experience , interviews , while still being fully supported by your Co-Ordinator . At your own pace . Which is the main thing I think.

If you google EmployAbility for your own county , it should come up there .
    Hope this helps, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies guys.

That EmployAbility service actually looks well worth a shot, thanks for the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

McRoundy wrote: »
    I'm 37 years old now. I spent most of my adult life in manual labour jobs that allowed me to hide away in the background but have found myself unemployed for a while now and unable to get something else similar. I have a degree in Software Development that I never made use of because the thought of working in a Development 'Team' and speaking at team meetings etc terrifies me. I would dearly love to go back and make use of my degree, or some other job that I could actually make a proper career out of, but I feel like I need some help and support to face that. Is there any facility in this country to help with this stuff?

As a software development team lead, I find your viewpoint astonishing. In one sense you are correct in that communication is key in a SW team. However that communication doesn't necessarily have to be verbal and any good SW team will encompass and embrace a team member who is able to contribute to the team.

SW development is an ideal working environment for people with social difficulties because it is inherently an activity that revolves around the use of your mind. At the same time, you will be limited in advancement because once you want to progress above coding you need to utilize social skills but otherwise it can be a very fulfilling career in front of a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Maybe check out the national learning network as well nln.ie

I've never been to them so don't know what the courses are like, but they might at least have experience of helping people with SA to find jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Aware have weekly support groups

I'm going to one and there are many people with anxiety coming through the doors. You speak as much or as little as you like, very informal and relaxed and most importantly anonymous

BTW you're not 'suffering' from anxiety, you've been diagnosed with it :)

There is support for you. Stay strong

Advertisement