Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who captured you?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

I was having a recent chat with some friends and even my own mother about bands and musicians that really influenced you, the groups that dragged you on to the metal scene.

I grew up listening to a lot of music ranging from Ella Fitzgerald, to PIL/Sex Pistols and Bowie, mixed in with a bit of KD Lang.

Now some 30+ years into life I was going through my music collection and realised just how "dated" quite a bit of it is.

For me, Korn was my first real jump into the world of metal as I wasn't a fan of the likes of Iron Maiden or Guns'N'Roses.

Korns Life is Peachy is now just over twenty freaking years old and is still in my top 3 albums of all time. The mix of metal of jazz/funk/hip hop blew me away, and the style of drums and bass can be seen in the records my mother used to play when I was a wee lad.

Ignoring how these bands sound now, tell me people of Boards, what bands and albums really pulled you into the world of rock and metal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I watched (and still watch) a load of Wrestling and the bands the really got me into Rock/Metal were the bands that music appeared in the wwe such as POD, Creed, Nickelback, Saliva etc. in 2003 i started watching stations such as Kerrang/MTV2/Scuzz and i got into the bands such as Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath, Guns N Roses,Slipknot,Disturbed, Foo Fighters, Nirvana etc. I also became a big fan of glam metal bands such as Kiss, Motley Crue, Poison etc.

When i was in my teens l liked bands such as Green Day, Fall Out Boy, My chemical Romance, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory etc but i grew out of that teen stuff when i was in my late teens but i still like to hear some tracks for old times sake

Outside of Rock/Metal i got into music such as Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams and Fleetwood Mac etc. I also love bands such as Oasis,u2, Stone Roses,The Darkness, Rush etc

I go too a lot of gigs but there mainly big/medium scale gigs and are bands that i grew up listening too. I dont go too gigs in places like the Academy/button factory as im not really into the bands that play those type of smaller venues

so at 27 years of age that is my music life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

I first heard Iron Maiden when I was around 9 or 10, my cousin had bought the Edward the Great compilation and from the minute I heard Run to the Hills I was hooked. It went straight from that to Metallica, Motorhead and Slayer by passed the nu metal stuff and straight into Black Metal. It's funny because I had to work my way back from listening to Burzum mayhem etc the whole time in Death Metal, Doom and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Cult - Electric. Loved it then, love it even more now. First band I saw live back in The Point. The production has stood the test of time, still have it on a white cassette.

Going way off base here. Stuck that Korn album on a couple of weeks back in the car, track you picked off it is there finest.

Found the rest of the album unbearable for the most part. That high pitched snare sounds like garbage, that's all I can hear when I listen to it. There's a video of Mike Bordin covering for Silveria (excellent drummer) at some festival that's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak was my first album and to this day is still one of my favourites. I was lucky enough to see them several times.

Van Halen - I bought the debut album in the Dandelion Market on the recommendation from a trader in 79/80. I have followed the band since then and I finally got to see them live in 2015.

Rainbow - With RJD they released a couple of absolute classics in the 70s.

Whitesnake - The Moody/Marsden line up was the Snake at their best.

Iron Maiden - The debut album with Di'Anno just blew me away.

Black Sabbath - Never a big fan until Heaven & Hell was released. Great album with RJD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

1986 - Aerosmith/RUN DMC - Walk This Way

I was 11 and everything changed after that :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Ace in the Hole

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Linkin Park's One Step Closer was a starting point for me thanks to Dave Fanning's Saturday/Sunday morning music show on TV. Then went further down the rabbit hole with some pirate radio station that played rock and metal, Kerrang, Scuzz, Metal Hammer, and the likes.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I was a slave to MTV, so whatever tunes they played was my go to. So, that's my excuse for being open to other genres, but always coming back to rock and metal.

I can remember my foray in to certain genres.

Being given Nirvana Nevermind and starting my love of everything grunge.

I blame MTV for nu metal. Cringing thinking back at some of it now (Korn / Limp Bizkit / Linkin Park / Coal Chamber), as it was music very much "of it's time". The anger / lyrics seemed to resonate with adolescence, and was a nice escape or catharsis at the time.

Happened twice in two part-time jobs. One metal head got me listening to Dying Fetus, which started my appreciation for Brutal Death Metal. And another lad started me listening to ISIS which started my love for sludge / stoner / drone metal.

Ironically it took a Scottish lad I was introduced to years ago to get me listening to Irish bands (Abaddon Incarnate / Guttrench / Warpath / Coldwar / Nephridium / Skewered / Fúckhammer / Okus / Morphosis / Two Tales of Woe / Slomatics / War Iron / ZOM / Killface / Overoth / Ten Ton Slug / Wreck of the Hesperus /... to name but a few! ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

First heard that on Scuzz 10 years ago. Flicked over, heard screaming and changed but said I'd give it a chance, flicked back right before the guitar solo.

Hooked. Went out the next day and bought the poison. Listened to it on repeat for three weeks and went back trying to listen to blink-182 etc. Didn't cut it anymore so started listening to heavier and heavier stuff and that was it.

Saw them play the Poison in full in Bournemouth last year. It was like travelling back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

For me it was Rammstein back when I was 11. Strange for a kid that age to like that kind of thing but I had been into The Prodigy in a big way up to then and the heaviness was already a taste of mine.

To this day I'm not into Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses or any of the bands that a lot of metalheads are into and have been into for years. Disturbed kicked off my interest in "nu-metal" in the early 2000's but I'm mainly into Industrial/NDH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I got 4 albums from my Aunt when i was about 11/12 as Christmas gifts to go along with my new stereo.

Puddle of Mud - Come Clean
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Star fish
    Metallica - ..And Justice for All

Wasn't a fan of Come Clean, I much preferred the other 3 but ..And Justice for All made me wanna look for more Metallica albums which then led to other metal artists and on it went :)

To this day it's still one of my favourite albums and in m opinion, the best Metallica album.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title is very apt to me!

Back around 1976 it was my elder sister's birthday and I was given the task of playing the records at her party. One of the singles was Sqeeze Box by the Who, and I played it time and time again as lads at the party kept requesting it. I then started really getting into them. Saw them 2 nights in succession in the early 80s when I was a student at Manchester University. Had tickets for their 50th anniversary tour back in 2014 but circumstances conspired to prevent me going. Do have a ticket to see them next month back in Manchester. Oh, and I managed to get the camera in one time when they were playing Wembley - 13 July 1985....

412311.jpg

OK, Rock not Metal, but from the Who I moved onto AC/DC and then Judas Priest, seeing both during my student days, with AC/DC being one band I continue to follow and try to see whenever they are touring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ash is perhaps my slightly leftfield answer to this...

Before them I don't recall seeking music if you know what I mean, prior to them I piggybacked slightly on sections of the fathers taste was always the more rockier stuff for the most part Bowie,Fleetwood Mac and such but was a casual listener at best.

2TV with Dave Fanning and Bianca Luykx always seemed to be on in my house every Sunday, liked what I heard from Ash was also fascinated that these lads were only a few years older than me at the time, bought the 1977 tape and robbed me brothers walkman to listen to it. Pressed play after the quick nod to Star Wars and "Lose Control" hit I was hooked crazy to think it was the heaviest thing I'd heard at the time.

People seemed to strive for alternative music at the time so bands like Garbage,Smashing Pumpkins,Prodigy,Suede,Weezer etc. benefited from this momentum...even bands that had been around for donkeys were making vastly different albums to previous efforts looking back metal in particular had gone into hiding with the exception of Pantera,Metallica had cut their hair,Kreator were releasing Cause for Conflict,GnR off the back of a covers album were winding up.Maiden,Mortley Crue,Anthrax etc had all binned their singers and replaced them.

So basically after the Ash tapes had worn to bits I wanted more riffs and solos so next up was a band with similar background Therapy? "Troublegum" was the recommendation and what a cracking album another one that still gets regular airplay, they'd just supported some band called Metallica throughout Europe so naturally enough the playbook of 70/80s metal was soon delved into Lizzy,Saxon,Maiden,Priest,Megadeth and all that good stuff.

Around the time of Nu-metal I did get sucked in by some of those bands too Korn,Slipknot,Deftones,(hed)PE...but bands I enjoyed got sucked in too Machine Head,Cypress Hill were all over it :rolleyes:

Later years I'd go to festivals been a number initially seeking out the bigger bands of course but nowadays always on the hunt for adding something that could peak my interest. Mastodon,Arch Enemy,Trivium,Delain,Clutch,Ghost,Parkway Drive,Gojira would be a snapshot of bands after the 2000's just say.

Mad to think Ash headlined Glastonbury it was a big thing obviously which was arguably both the height and downward spiral (great album by NIN actually :pac:) that took them awhile to recover from, must have been so overwhelming for a band so young.

Tim wasn't blessed with the greatest voice on earth but great songwriting perhaps that why although liking melody and a catchy tune which Ash had bags of vocals for me although an instrument in themselves didn't always dismiss a band. Would like if Charlotte was still with them she added much in the live performance, they might be playing the smaller venues but I find these days are most of the enjoyable gigs.

That said not Ash but in terms of smaller gigs DME I've found lately have been on a role when it comes to that sort attended Blue Oyster Cult,Delain/Evergrey,Sepultura/Kreator,might go Ross the Boss we'll see ;)

But yeah it's Ash somewhat surprisingly for me (sorry for long post an hour later due to clocks going forward and a few whiskies!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Limb Bizkit and Linkin Park were the first for me. Started listening to them when I was about 10 or 11. It was around the time Hybrid Theory came out, and Rolling so they were quite popular at the time.

Then I started listening to Metallica at around 13 or 14. Heard a few of their songs on the musics channels like Kerrang and Skuzz, and couldn't get enough of them.

Over time I just kept listening to more and more bands like Sliptknot, Korn, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Slayer, and Megadeth. The list just goes on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Blast from the past, anyone remember these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Raised on a diet of AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Bowie, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden etc so that's all I listened to as a kid growing up. Sought out Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Metallica and all the Kerrang/Scuzz bands as a teenager. Once I moved to Dublin at 18 I started going to metal gigs as they were piss-cheap and I lived near the SFX at the time. Went to bands that I would not have listened to previously just for the live music experience (and infinitely better than going clubbing).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Blast from the past, anyone remember these guys

Saw somewhere they were doing a tour last year or this focusing on the first album tbh I'd be struggling to name a song of theirs after that first album that album was prominent in it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was into def Leppard and bon Jovi aged 11 in 87...Then I heard kill em all... And sure off I went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

metallica, puppets, was about 10ish when i discovered them. havent looked back, at almost 40, i still love the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

Around 1995 when I was a teen I traded one of my pet shop boys albums for a Metallica album, thinking I'll get the sort of music they play on the radio. I didn't, I got Kill 'em all. Got me intrigued but not enough to get hooked really.

A bit later I recall one night on MTV seeing Blind Guardians "Mirror Mirror". Never heard anything like that before. That was before the days of streaming, or internet in any home, so I wasn't even sure what that sort of music this was, if I remembered the bands name correctly, and where the hell I could buy that from. Certainly not from the shops in the little town I lived in. Managed to buy a few of their CDs after a while, and that was me hooked. Dug out the old Metallica album too and bought the rest of the old ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement