Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaverlight bulbs going black?

Options
  • 16-02-2017 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

we have 2 shaverlights in the house not much use much the 60w clear tubes inside have really gone black, they still work though they havent blown. They were clear when we moved in december last. - I wonder why they have gone like that in such short time?

Also in the upstairs bathroom, I was up there once and thought I can hear like rushing water sound ... so I automatically thought it was the water in the central heating radiator (you know like the central heating pump pumping the water around the rad, thats what it sounded like) - but then i turned off the shaverlight and the noise went, then when i turned on the light again the noise come back. I was thinking maybe the isolating transformer inside the shaverlight must be making that noise but I have only ever heard them 'buzz/hum' before ... not making a noise like rushing water!

16809830_10211376943033140_557380786_n.jpg?oh=90e07fb1e2524b346a7f0702de3f9e30&oe=58A85F66

Comments

Blackening is probably due to humidity and the tungsten build up inside the glass that's not recombining because the halogen is too cool.

Is the bulb firmly fixed in the socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I guess you switch them on/off a good bit that will shorten their life.

Just replace when they fail or before as they can fail to start but glow at the ends becoming quite hot and can damage the fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

my suspicions are that the 240v live and neutral feed going to the 60w lamp is tapped from the isolating transformer rather than direct to ac240v - is it possible that is how the shaverlite is wired internal, and if this is the case could this cause blackening of the lamp?

my suspicions are that the 240v live and neutral feed going to the 60w lamp is tapped from the isolating transformer rather than direct to ac240v - is it possible that is how the shaverlite is wired internal, and if this is the case could this cause blackening of the lamp?

I doubt it as it will have a single connection at rear where live neutral and earth if one would go.

Low operating temperature at short duration is the cause of blackening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Shave every second or every third day instead of daily...;-)

left it on nearly every night (overnight) since moved in December, it started off clear then, so strange. Maybe these lamps are faulty as in the gas inside the tungsten lamp is ropey maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Some fecker playing with the microwave in th vicinity.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

left it on nearly every night (overnight) since moved in December, it started off clear then, so strange. Maybe these lamps are faulty as in the gas inside the tungsten lamp is ropey maybe?

They are not intended for prolonged use like that. You will burn the house down.

...the gas inside the tungsten lamp is ropey maybe?

Maybe there's no halogen. It might just be an "incandescent".

• Advertisement

Totally normal to go darker with use. They aren't intended as said above to be left on. More for while admiring oneself in the mirror ;-)

my local MR Price have got 60w equivalent (or is it 30w, cant remember) in LED lamp at a tenner a piece , might be tempted to get one when these current ones blow. Anyone else tried these equivalent 60 watt LED tube/lamps for the shaverlights? any good? - i am presuming they give out a cool/blue-ish LED white light as opposed to warm white though?, which is a shame.

1937.jpg

Thanks all of you for your advice, I'm going to take your advice and only put the shaverlight on only when needed in future... If I and others in the house can get into the habit of turning them off!

Advertisement