Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI eligibility - part-time courses?

Options
  • 15-02-2017 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I've put in a CAO application with a couple of level 8 courses on it.
    I've been unemployed since last summer, so doing that gives me some hope that if my circumstances don't change, I might be able to go back to college in September to get a degree.
    Now, whatever about the btea, I definitely have no chance of affording fulltime study if I don't qualify for free fees.

I did 1 year of a 3rd level course before which I didn't complete - over a decade ago. I asked at a recent mature student info meeting whether I would qualify for a grant - explaining the previous incomplete course.
    The SUSI rep enquired as to whether I had taken any part-time courses in the last 5 years. ( I haven't ).
    Then he said that I would be eligible under the 5-year rule for free fees, and that I might also be eligible for having the student contribution waived.

My question is about DSP. I understand that if I am lucky enough to get a college place, I may or may not get btea in September - I know it's not guaranteed and sometimes they turn people down even if they have enough days.

At the mature student info meeting, it was advised re. people claiming DSP payments, not to mention CAO applications to them because they might then assume you are milking the system DELIBERATELY to try to get btea later in the year, and they might even cut you off.
    I'm ok with that - I do feel like you should be able to discuss it openly, because almost everybody who gets a college place in July will have applied in January, and its not as if thats not making an effort to do something productive , but I will just give them my evidence of seeking work, bank statement if they want one, and whatever other evidence they require, and not mention the CAO.

But my other worry is, what if they force you to take a course?! I've read posts on here about people being forced to take courses. If I take a course, either full or part-time, between this and September, and then I do get a college place, can I forget getting a grant?

It does feel like a bit of a battle, dealing with them. I have an activation meeting coming up. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this and avoid ruining my chances.

Advertisement