Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Windows 10 problem. Help!

Options
  • 15-02-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hello.
    So basically I have lenovo b570 laptop.
    Windows 10 installed last year . Install went fine but since last month or so it has being doing loop on reinstall/updating every time I turn on or leave on over night.
    But last two days is just getting stuck on loading screen... won't start at all.

Any ideas....can get in on safe mode but still on ordinary startup it will not start. Just gets stuck on startup.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

No I have tried to restore and does not complete.
    Could not find restore I think is the message.
    And I have tried resetting as well and same can not complete.

rpmcs wrote: »
    No I have tried to restore and does not complete.
    Could not find restore I think is the message.
    And I have tried resetting as well and same can not complete.

Very odd.

Instead of restoring, did you try to reset it?

(sorry for the copy / paste)

From the drop down links in the link above...
    Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.
    Note
    If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
    Option What it does
    Keep my files
    Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    Removes changes you made to settings.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Remove everything
    Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    If your computer restarts and prompts you to confirm that you want to clear the TPM, press a key to follow the prompt.

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Restore factory settings Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
    Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.
    This option isn't available on all PCs.

Yes when I reset I click keep files and it starts resetting and then starts to in stall with message 'installing...computer will turn off and on few times'
    With circle and percentage..
    But at some stage during this reinstall it freezes with blank screen....left it like that over night thinking it may be still working be afraid not. Still same this morning.

Yes when I reset I click keep files and it starts resetting and then starts to in stall with message 'installing...computer will turn off and on few times'
    With circle and percentage..
    But at some stage during this reinstall it freezes with blank screen....left it like that over night thinking it may be still working be afraid not. Still same this morning.

Which one did you try?
    • Keep my files.
    • Remove everything.
    • Restore factory settings.

• Advertisement

Keep files

Keep files

Next port of call would be to get an external hard drive.

In Safe Mode copy files you want to keep to that (including bookmarks from browsers), and use one of the other two options.

Ensure you have license keys and / or take a screenshot of your installed programs so you remember what you had on it before.

Kinda afraid you were going to say that.
    I don't have external drive so will have to source that.
    I have a program of tas book keeping on this as well. As I don't have hard copy I was hoping to not loose this. But I'm afraid not much other options.
    Thanks for your help tho.

Advertisement