Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan sliced "meats" and cheeses.

Options
  • 15-02-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I've generally shied away from "meat-alikes" since going vegan but just by chance last month my local Lidl had vegan sliced ham and turkey. Now they're obviously processed to within an inch of their lives and even the colours were odd, but no more so than normal sliced and processed meats I guess.

But it was nice I must say as a reminiscent treat to just have a salty slice of ham-ish meat on a sandwich so I'd like to pick some up again if I knew where to get it. But I've never seen it in Lidl before that or since, and Supervalu don't sell anything of that sort. - Does anyone have an idea if such a thing is available in any of the other major multiples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

I have never seen any fake vegan sliced meats or cheese in Aldi or Lidl yet. I have seen fake of veggie mince in Aldi which is great for the likes of Lasagne or Spaghetti Bolognese but unfortunately they have been out of stock for a few weeks now.

Your best bet for fake vegetarian sliced meats is probably the Quorn range (although they are not vegan). They do packets of sliced chicken or ham and you can pick it up in any Tesco or Dunnes.

You can also get sliced cheese (Which is vegan). My favourite sliced cheese is Violife and I usually get it in Dunnes in Charlestown but I would imagine most supermarkets have it. It also comes in a few different flavours like smoked or with added peppers etc.

Here are some links below so you can see what you will be looking for

Cheese

Ham

Chicken

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    I have never seen any fake vegan sliced meats or cheese in Aldi or Lidl yet. I have seen fake of veggie mince in Aldi which is great for the likes of Lasagne or Spaghetti Bolognese but unfortunately they have been out of stock for a few weeks now.

Your best bet for fake vegetarian sliced meats is probably the Quorn range (although they are not vegan). They do packets of sliced chicken or ham and you can pick it up in any Tesco or Dunnes.

You can also get sliced cheese (Which is vegan). My favourite sliced cheese is Violife and I usually get it in Dunnes in Charlestown but I would imagine most supermarkets have it. It also comes in a few different flavours like smoked or with added peppers etc.

Here are some links below so you can see what you will be looking for

Cheese

Ham

Chicken

Enjoy:D

Nice one. Cheers. Pretty sure it was the quorn range alright. But you know the way Lidl have sporadic once-off back-of-a-lorry merchandise sometimes, I hadn't seen it there before or since.

I'll head to Dunnes so and get me sangers on! :D

What's the cheese like? Does it melt any way satisfactorily for cheese toasties?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

The cheese does indeed melt for cheese toasties. :)
    My favourite flavour is the smoked type.

They also do it in blocks which can be grated over pizza or lasagne.

The slices are slightly expensive at around €3.95 a pack but if you spend €50 in Dunnes you get a voucher for €10 off, so if you get some while you are doing your shopping for the week that could come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

You could try https://www.sgaiafoods.co.uk
    I saw on their Facebook page yesterday that they're delivering to Ireland now. I bought some when I was in Edinburgh last year. It came in a block and you slice it yourself. But there's a few variations I see on their site. It was the mheat product I had. Plain and barbecue flavoured I recall. Wasn't bad.

Advertisement