Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least slippy runners

Options
  • 15-02-2017 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Not sure if this should be in the general forum of the 'Gear' forum, but just wanted opinions.
    I'm going to Warsaw on holidays and will do a parkrun while I'm there. I don't want to bring more than one pair of runners with me, so am trying to decide whether to bring my Saucony 1400s (which I normally wear for racing) or my Brooks Launch (which I normally just run in). The reason I'm not sure is that it could be icy / slippy in Warsaw. I wonder which would have the better grip?

Any opinions?

ETA: New Balance 1400! Not Saucony 1400!! Sorry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello
    Not sure if this should be in the general forum of the 'Gear' forum, but just wanted opinions.
    I'm going to Warsaw on holidays and will do a parkrun while I'm there. I don't want to bring more than one pair of runners with me, so am trying to decide whether to bring my Saucony 1400s (which I normally wear for racing) or my Brooks Launch (which I normally just run in). The reason I'm not sure is that it could be icy / slippy in Warsaw. I wonder which would have the better grip?

Any opinions?

I run alot in the launch and find they have great grip. I use the hyperion for racing. How do you find the the Saucony 1400's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I run alot in the launch and find they have great grip. I use the hyperion for racing. How do you find the the Saucony 1400's ?

I LOVE the Saucony 1400s! They're probably my lightest shoes so far. I used to race in the Brooks Racer ST5 and really liked them, but I love the Saucony. I hardly know I'm wearing them! The longest race I've done in them so far is 10k.

Horses for courses though, a man in my club uses the 1400s as his heavy training runners and says that he'd never race in them as they're too heavy.

Maybe I'll bring the Launch so -- the other advantage of them is that if my normal shoes get rained on during the holiday the Launch are very comfortable for walking around in too.

Thanks.

I LOVE the Saucony 1400s! They're probably my lightest shoes so far. I used to race in the Brooks Racer ST5 and really liked them, but I love the Saucony. I hardly know I'm wearing them! The longest race I've done in them so far is 10k.

Horses for courses though, a man in my club uses the 1400s as his heavy training runners and says that he'd never race in them as they're too heavy.

Maybe I'll bring the Launch so -- the other advantage of them is that if my normal shoes get rained on during the holiday the Launch are very comfortable for walking around in too.

Thanks.

Yeah loved the Brooks ST5, but mine are getting old now:(

In case you don't know, there is some good deals on sweatshop for womens launch!!

I cant find Saucony 1400 anywhere, is that the proper name?

In case you don't know, there is some good deals on sweatshop for womens launch!!

I am so stupid! It's the New Balance 1400v3 that I have! (got mixed up as have recently moved from Brooks Ghost to Saucony Ride 9 for training shoes).

Sorry! All the positives above were about the NB 1400. (I love the Saucony Ride too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ST5 has been replaced by the Asteria, the upgrade comes with a slight reduction in weight and drop. Haven't tried them yet myself, but they are getting mainly positive reviews.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    ST5 has been replaced by the Asteria, the upgrade comes with a slight reduction in weight and drop. Haven't tried them yet myself, but they are getting mainly positive reviews.

Yeah I saw them. So now we have the Asteria and the hyperion, whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yeah I saw them. So now we have the Asteria and the hyperion, whats the difference?

Asteria similar to the ST5 is a racer / lightweight training shoe with additional stability that comes at the sacrifice of additional weight, about 40 grams.

Hyperion is the T7 replacement and is more a pure racer, runs narrower than the Asteria, but I feel still has enough about it for long races if you're a pretty efficient runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I am so stupid! It's the New Balance 1400v3 that I have! (got mixed up as have recently moved from Brooks Ghost to Saucony Ride 9 for training shoes).

Sorry! All the positives above were about the NB 1400. (I love the Saucony Ride too!)

How does the New Balance 1400 compare to the Brooks ST 5?

I've raced with the Brooks from 5k to the marathon and absolutely love them. Wish I'd bought two pairs at the time!

tailgunner wrote: »
    How does the New Balance 1400 compare to the Brooks ST 5?

I've raced with the Brooks from 5k to the marathon and absolutely love them. Wish I'd bought two pairs at the time!

Just going on feel, I think the NB are a bit thinner at the front of the sole -- I tend to wear my shoes down on the front, outside edges, so I presume that means I land towards the middle / front part of my foot, and I find I can kind of 'feel' the ground more through the NBs. Like if I'm running a parkrun or somewhere that's a bit tree-rooty / forest-y I feel that the NB are a bit thinner. The grip is fine in the New Balance, though; I ran Johnstown parkrun in them on a very rainy day recently and I had no grip problems.

The 'shoe' part of the NB (rather than the soles) also feels a bit softer and more flexible than the Brooks.

On the roads, I don't notice much difference when I'm running. Maybe the NB are a bit lighter?

I've run up to half marathon in the ST racers, and only up to 10k so far in the NBs, so I can't compare them distance-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Thanks for that info. I'll definitely check them out.

• Advertisement

Just checking back in to say the NB 1400's were FAB in the snow! Granted, the park's paths had been gritted, but it snowed again after that and my shoes still gripped fine.

?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/PortretProfesjonalisty/photos/a.1673252486302053.1073741849.1565788983715071/1673262486301053/?type=3&theater

PS would people run a 10-miler in the NB 1400s? I've done 10k races in them no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If it is icy a pair of socks pulled over the shoe is supposed to be a great way to get decent grip on slippy surfaces. Won't be good for the socks but you'll corner like a Quattro.

Advertisement