Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car shopping- what gets insurance down?

Options
  • 15-02-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    im currently driving a 00 Fiat and my insurance renewal went up about 500quid.
    When i get quote from different brokers etc its about the same price i paid last year (which is already ridiculous but 500e cheaper).
    I was thinking to just get a new car altogether or something new-ish since the current car may need some repairs and money invested for the NCT.
    But all the cars i checked on various selling-sites that i would like (around 1.2 engine size) and the quotes i get are way worse than my insurance renewal.
    I thought insurance is supposed to go down with new-ish cars? everything i tried so far was way more expensive (similar cars and engine-size)
    Im really confused about this now and seriously considering to just invest in the current old car and get a quote of a new insurance company which should be about the same price i paid last year and cheaper than the renewal.....
    How the heck does one get the some decent insurance quotes these days??? :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

have you gone back to the insurance company and asked them why the price is up and have you rung around other companies to get quotes for your current car that might be lower and give you leverage in getting you current insurer to bring price down? unfortunatly what your seeing is a consequence of an inept judicary throwing easy money out at claims and bad investment practices from the insurers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you really want your insurance down, you need to be over 25 and not living on the northside of Dublin (The likes of Finglas, Cabra etc are loaded) Next, you want a car that's reasonably rare. A rarer car is less likely to be involved in an accident so statistically the insurance company has never had to pay out on that particular car, meaning it carries less risk. Remember, insurance is a numbers game, you have to play the system if you want to come out on top. An example of this is the VW Bora. Its currently the car of choice for younger male drivers to tune up. Higher risk bracket, more payouts (Allegdgy), more expensive to insure. The RS4 should be very cheap to insure in Ireland based on this, but its not, as nearly every last one of them has been stolen at least once.

I'm basing this on trying to insure a 2006 A3, one was the standard 1.6 model, the other was the fairly rare in Ireland quattro, petrol 2.0L (The baby brother of the S3) The latter was cheaper, by a wide margin, based on the criteria above. The price dropped again when I contrasted insurance between the north and south side of the city. Going a little rarer again, the 130i is even cheaper even though it has nigh 70bhp more than the 2.0 A3.

One could argue though that what I save in insurance I give to Topaz :pac:

Advertisement