Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/selling gear

Options
  • 15-02-2017 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

So, I've been on a fairly long extended break from playing (couple of years) but now I'm back and obviously it doesn't take long for GAS to ensue.

I've been scanning adverts.ie the last while but it seems like there is only a fraction of the gear for sale there than there used to be. Have people migrated elsewhere? If so where? As it planning g a purchase or two this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

What instrument are you interested in ? Last time I looked there were just under 4,000 guitars and just under 500 basses. Not a bad selection IMO.

Perhaps you play the triangle or the spoons ? :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

More spoons listed than basses. Spoons are a buyer's market!

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Spoons/

endacl wrote: »
    More spoons listed than basses. Spoons are a buyer's market!

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Spoons/

I stand corrected. ;). Perhaps I should have said...Didgeridoo :pac:

Searches adverts to see how many didgeridoos are for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Rigsby wrote: »
    What instrument are you interested in ? Last time I looked there were just under 4,000 guitars and just under 500 basses. Not a bad selection IMO.

Perhaps you play the triangle or the spoons ? :D:P

Thankfully picked up some custom shop spoons while in the states a couple of years ago so sorted for them for the forseeable.

While there may be 4000 guitar ads there doesn't seem to be the range of stuff on there than in previous years.

While I have no experience of it myself, you could always check out www.donedeal.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

there always seems to be some piece of kit for me to lust after...and i fail to say no to myself far too often

Rigsby wrote: »
    While I have no experience of it myself, you could always check out www.donedeal.ie

Yeah I had a quick look there, doesn't seem to be much there either, suppose I was really asking is there some new tangled place I don't know about.

As an aside, it's a les Paul I'd belooking at, the asking prices seem a good bit higher than when I was considering one before...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

In terms of high-end stuff, you'd be hard pushed to find a vast array of instruments on Adverts tbh. I've tended to use ebay or bass forums such as basschat.co.uk for my purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

maybe check out some neck guitars and jimis music store also
    Got my main squeeze from owen in some neck.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Adverts is generally a ghastly experience for sellers due to endless trade offers, time-wasters and chumps who offer you a half-eaten Mars Bar and a fiver for expensive items.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Adverts is generally a ghastly experience for sellers due to endless trade offers, time-wasters and chumps who offer you a half-eaten Mars Bar and a fiver for expensive items.

It's depressing looking at the offers underneath ads that clearly state 'no trades' but in saying that, I sold a good bit of stuff on there back a whime and had generally good experiences.

Think what I'll do is head along to Jimi and someneck, their prices actually seem keener than what fellas are looking for for similar stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The Guitarist Ireland Classified group on Facebook can be good, though not as big a selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

As mentioned above, a lot of it has moved onto Facebook. I've sold a bunch on the groups in the last year or two. Personally I've had better experience with that than Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Trad instruments seem to be hard to sell, and the selection isn't great for used instruments. It's probably a niche market though.

Advertisement