Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive MBA or MSC in Digital Innovation

Options
  • 15-02-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing the MSC in Digital Innovation part time in UCD business school.

I'm weighing up my options and the course seems decent and half the price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If you qualify for the MBA, do the MBA. It has a lot more weight behind it and Smurfit have a very good name behind them for the MBA. Their part time courses are very, very hit and miss. I have experience of one of them (Not the Digital one mind you) and I would not recommend it to anyone.

- Lecturers: Most have not worked in industry or if they have, its been research groups or academic think tanks. Check LinkedIn for each listed lecturer and you'll quickly see what I mean. Very few have actually done the 9/5 grind in large corporations and come back to apply that to what they teach. Few have global experience and I'd wager none have held C level positions in any major corporations. They are fantastic academics, don't get me wrong, but few have that real world experience to add to your education. You need this in these types of programs. I can't imagine any having real 'digital' experience or entrepreneurial exploits of note.

- Material: Part time course is very reading heavy. You'd want to have 2 hours per day, every day, to review the work and unless you have real dedication, you'll find yourself skipping chapters to cover material to cover exams. Exams are manageable but again, its paper tests at the end of each semester. This doesn't really tie back to real world life. Courses need major overhaul in terms of assessment, more real world / continuous review as opposed to exams lumped at the end.

- Organisation: Its laughable at times. Often agendas are changed last minute or just completely wrong. Lack of clear instructions or conflicting ones, and really hard to get an answer. There was very little interest from the overall school to resolve issues, some of which were pretty serious in nature. There was no co-ordination on large assignments e.g. 5000 word essays due the same week. Some course material wasn't updated since 2012.

I'd ask lots of hard questions before handing over your cash. If it was me, looking back, I'd consider the full fat MBA ahead of any part time course and I'd consider some CPD / Diploma's ahead of them again.

Advertisement