Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Central Heating Boiler from a Microwave Oven?

Options
  • 15-02-2017 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭

Making a central heating Boiler from a Microwave Oven ... do you think its possible?

Anyone who has heated up a jug of water in a 900w Microwave oven at 100% power level knows that in just one minute the water will be at boiling temperature ... well I am thinking if you could put some kind of sealed polycarbon into the cavity of the oven (or any other plastic container suitable of withstanding the heat and pressure, or some kind of metal container that didnt mess with the microwaves causing arcing) and drilled your 2 22mm pipes (flow & Return) through the outer and inner cavity of the microwave oven with a compression thread you can attach your 22mm piping to the pump and rads I wonder if it would work.

I would love to have a try and see if it works, but I better not because microwaves and radiation and all that shíte can be dangerous innit :eek:

But then again if the door of the microwave is shut (and its got safety interlocks and cut off switches anyway it should be OK) but the issue is if you drilled the 2 holes for the 22mm flow and return pipes the radiation might leak from there. ... although saying that the microwave ovens inner cavity does have slats leading to outside for venting.

Trouble is would microwave be man enough to run 10 rads say because microwave 900w wheres boiler your talking 22kw arent ye? - but then again, amazing how quickly a microwave oven can heat up a jug/container of water in a small amount of time.
    I suppose a commercial oven that cafes and kitchens have are more than 900w power .. so even better :)

Microwave oven cost 150quid vs oil boiler 850-1000 quid ...

Any willing volunteers wanna try it on my behalf? :D

16640540_10211360921312607_5961961683690166859_n.jpg?oh=bc8c22360d1ed8f093ca93027f99a0b9&oe=593E8117

end note: "Am I well?" .... probably not :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Andeeeey !!!!!

White coats will be paying you a visit tomorrow...

:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I bet people thought Edison was nuts first of all ... oh and that fella who said the world was flast .. and einstein ... look what happened there . :)

Mark my words, withing the next 10 years we will all have Microwave Central Heating Boilers.

Someone is gonna nick and adapt my idea and make a killing from it ... I just know it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

The problem is in the maths.

A 900W microwave does not use 900W of electricity to produce 900W of microwave energy, rather it uses nearly double that.

Add that to the fact that it does not matter how long it takes to heat up a cup of water to boiling point - rather, it matters how fast your radiators dissipate the heat into your house from the water, and how much heat your house loses per unit of time... you probably need more power than your boiler uses to do it your way.

yoke wrote: »
    The problem is in the maths.

A 900W microwave does not use 900W of electricity to produce 900W of microwave energy, rather it uses nearly double that.

Add that to the fact that it does not matter how long it takes to heat up a cup of water to boiling point - rather, it matters how fast your radiators dissipate the heat into your house from the water, and how much heat your house loses per unit of time... you probably need more power than your boiler uses to do it your way.

Thanks, ah shame that. Maths was never my best subject. Interesting that, that a 900w microwave uses nearly double in electric

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

Well, on the bright side I see no reason why your device wouldn't work technically, although it should be very inefficient. Might come in handy during wartime or something :) Sure the vietcong are supposed to have used motorcycle engines to produce electricity in their underground hideouts... that woulda been very inefficient too, but it worked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.google.com/patents/US7465907
    someone beat you to it andy:D

dathi wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/patents/US7465907
    someone beat you to it andy:D

Dammit! .. Bloody Americans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If I remember my first year thermodynamics module lab correctly you'd be better off using a kettle.

Chet T16 wrote:
    If I remember my first year thermodynamics module lab correctly you'd be better off using a kettle.

You'd need near on 3kw kettle at least. I suppose maybe you could try with a 9kw instantaneous electric shower too , but then again a 80btu boiler is rated at around 22kw isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

andy I said dissect the fridge or the washing machine not the feckin microwave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Andy,
    Remember my recommendation to buy a jumper ?

Click on link.

You'd need near on 3kw kettle at least. I suppose maybe you could try with a 9kw instantaneous electric shower too , but then again a 80btu boiler is rated at around 22kw isn't it?
    Electric heaters for standard rads have been around for over 30 years.
    I remember one block of small apartments with just a metal box with a standard element fitted. Very expensive running costs.

Newer design's
    https://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/slim-jim-electric-boilers/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Andy new profile pic

409401.jpg

Tom44 wrote:
    Andy, Remember my recondition to buy a jumper ?

Tom44 wrote:
    Click on link.

Don't look very warm ....

Don't look very warm ....

It's the only way we can guarantee your family's warmth.

Advertisement