Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some money to invest

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have recently come into some money and I'm looking to invest it in a personal investment product, around 20K

I've looked up Irish Life, Zurich, Acorn and a few others and met with an advisor it two banks. I'm looking to put it away for 5 years +

Can anyone give me a small bit of advice as its my first time looking to do such a product. I know management fees and charges are important as they will eat into the fund, especially as it grows. Also the allocation rate.

Any help appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Newentrant12

If you want to invest into a pension or PRSA scheme you should probably get with whoever can provide this at the lowest cost. If you're looking for a personal investment, a low cost index fund isn't a bad idea. If you have 20K and you want to know a bit about investing I would suggest reading A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel. It gives a nice introduction to personal finance/investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Not looking for a PRSA scheme

more a lump sum investment scheme.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment anything with decent principal security is paying back very very little interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

How about using this (already taxed) cash to live and put equivalent of it over 1-2 years into pension, this way you'd "save" on marginal 40% tax rate and on PRSI/USC etc.

In other words, to save 20k you'd need to earn double that on top rate of tax (that is, if you are on this level of income). Pension would be more tax efficient.

Food for thought etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I have an AVC product already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Newentrant12

I have an AVC product already

A low cost index fund that tracks the us markets has the best return over the long run if you're interested in equity exposure. Look into vanguard etfs. These products are only appropriate if you have a long term horizon.

Advertisement