Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell e6430

Options
  • 14-02-2017 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for some inspiration. Have a Dell e6430 and over the past few months it would only boot once out of 3 or 4 attempts. This then got worse and now it could take 50 attempts. When I try boot I don't get any back light in the screen, the fans spin but nothing and the only light is the power light and no beeping. When it does boot it's fine and once it's on it will stay on unless its switch off. So that's why I don't think it's a loose cable to the screen which I have reseated.

Tried the two ram modules different ways but that makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas??
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Ok disconnect power and all other devices from laptop. Remove battery press power button for 20 to 30 seconds with battery out. Now reassemble and power on. If this fails try fn key plus power should go into diagnostic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

jhud wrote: »
    Ok disconnect power and all other devices from laptop. Remove battery press power button for 20 to 30 seconds with battery out. Now reassemble and power on. If this fails try fn key plus power should go into diagnostic mode.

Hey thanks for reply. Yes I gave that a go again and nothing. I did however notice when I hold FN and power I get a flashing battery light regardless if it's plugged in or not...

It looks like memory fault if you have 2 memory chips try just one in each slot.

See details here
    http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~tom/troubleshooting/E6430_device_status_LEDs.pdf

It looks like memory fault if you have 2 memory chips try just one in each slot.

See details here
    http://jupiter.plymouth.edu/~tom/troubleshooting/E6430_device_status_LEDs.pdf

Thanks for that. I'll try that again perhaps and maybe pickup a new one later today!

How did you get on?

• Advertisement

How did you get on?

Oh ye sorry forgot, tried some ram from another laptop that uses the same but same result. Might just go to repair shop... Embarrassing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you tried to connect an external monitor ? It might just be the screen ?

Hold down the D key and power it up, this should start the display BIST. The screen should cycle through various colours over and over.
    If this works every time you try it then it's most likely it's not the screen.

Ken

Ye i tried using the HDMI cable from LAPTOP to TV but nothing....might just bite the bullet and drop it in to be checked out!

Advertisement